• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A hopeless shot in the dark...

freedom1st

NAXJA Forum User
I drive an 86 XJ with a 2.8L V6. I know, sucky ride... What i need is an air diverter valve for the smog system. Supposedly they don't make the part any more. If anyone has one let me know. If not, any thoughts on how I can fab up something for the smog pump?

Do you have a picture of it. There is a you pull part yard close to me that has this engine in a XJ .

Is yours driven by the belt? If so get a bypass pulley of some kind and skip the thing. The smog pumps don't really do anything except push more oxygen into the exhaust. Do you still get smog tested on that vehicle?

The smog pump is belt driven, and at one point it was disconnected. The problem is more that vacuum lines enter and exit the part that effect the carburator idle. I took the thing to a local independent mechanic and the best he could do was get the low idle set at 1k rpms. If it drops below that for very long it dies. THe heep drinks gas like I drank chocolate milk as a kid, 9 - 12 mpg, so getting every possible vacuum leak plugged impacting the carb is a huge plus. Hopefully I'm moving up to a different 60* engine in the near future, but this one has to get me to that future.

Can you pull the pulley off and use a shorter belt to bypass it? I had one die on my '85 Cadillac and I just got a shorter belt and routed around it until I could find a replacement. It made no difference in my car whatsoever.

I think i saw a V6 cherokee at the junkyard today. If you post a picture I will give you a price.

~Alex

alex22 said:
I think i saw a V6 cherokee at the junkyard today. If you post a picture I will give you a price.

~Alex

:wave: :wave:
Off Topic:...... I spent some time in Waterbury but could not find anyone from NAXJA to wheel with. The guys from CT JEEP welcomed me with open arms. Well,.... they called my XJ a school bus. I had the opportunity to show Barby Doll transportors what a stock XJ can do.

My bother in Waterbury is also Alex.

Back