• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting from speedometer cable to electric

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to convert from an old fashioned speedometer cable like my '88 MJ has to an electronic unit like my '93 XJ has? My cable recently broke and I'd rather upgrade it than just replace it. Need a newer gauge cluster? What else? Thanks.

xj92 said:
Is there a way to convert from an old fashioned speedometer cable like my '88 MJ has to an electronic unit like my '93 XJ has? My cable recently broke and I'd rather upgrade it than just replace it. Need a newer gauge cluster? What else? Thanks.
You would have to go to a full HO harness since the electronic speedo runs through the PCM. There's no easy way other than a harness swap unfortunately.

or aftermarket speedo

So what else needs to be swapped with a harness? An entire later model engine? The current engine has 150K on it and it doesn't sound good, so I'm up for almost anything.

xj92 said:
So what else needs to be swapped with a harness? An entire later model engine? The current engine has 150K on it and it doesn't sound good, so I'm up for almost anything.
You wouldn't necessarily have to but in your case you would atleast need to use the HO intake manifold. The problem with keeping your existing Renix engine is that the ports wouldn't entirely line up with the newer intake, but you could still do it.

I have a GPS :). So if I installed a head off of an HO along with the intake manifold and computer, everything would go fine? I just want to build this comanche up with all the good stuff anyways. I got it dirt cheap cause it needs everything, got to start somewhere.

Back