• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on RE6030 kit??

goldhammer

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering if anyone here has the Rubicon Express 6030 3 1/2 inch lift with the replacement rear spring packs.... good, bad indifferent?? suggestions for shocks?

Rig is an 88 with the 4.0, AW4,NP231. Will be going to 31-10.5's. Has 3.55's in kthe punkins. Will be an emerg. dd, mostly logging trails, some sand, limited rock.

First experience with the XJ, have had several of the SJ and CJ over the years.

Thanks

im running the 3.5" RE kit. i think it has become the most popular choice among XJ'ers for a good reason. sits high at first but settles down nicely, rides well on the road as well as off the road. im running mine with OME shocks. money well spent IMO

Any issues with the track bar? Will have to run the stock slip yoke setup for the summer, going to be a big problem?

Preference of the SR vs. SF for a mild wheeling rig?

goldhammer said:
Any issues with the track bar? Will have to run the stock slip yoke setup for the summer, going to be a big problem?

Preference of the SR vs. SF for a mild wheeling rig?

Even if you are running it as a DD go with the SF, it is just a better value all around. Also the key to a good ride with that kit is the shocks, im running OME shocks with that kit and let me tell you it is a very nice ride for a DD lifted vehicle.

Kyle Deidrick said:
Even if you are running it as a DD go with the SF, it is just a better value all around. Also the key to a good ride with that kit is the shocks, im running OME shocks with that kit and let me tell you it is a very nice ride for a DD lifted vehicle.

So lemme get this straight... the SF kit rides better than the SR kit???

On second read: How much of a difference is there between the two?

another vote for the 3.5" superflex kit with OME shocks. and as far as the slip yoke goes...you should be fine wheeling it like that...i have an 01 and have a tcase drop installed for a temp. fix and wheel it like that with no problems.

PurpleCherokee said:
So lemme get this straight... the SF kit rides better than the SR kit???

On second read: How much of a difference is there between the two?

No, the SR kit rides better then the SF kit. But saying that I would never buy the SR kit because I dont like the joints and the SF kit comes with quick discos along with better arm joints.

Honestly speaking I have ridden in both with the same shocks in practically the same conditions and there isnt much difference. If you wheel at all I would go SF.

I have the 6020 kit (AAL). I second the comment that they sit high at first. It looked like it had an extra inch or so. Even with the AAL it rides pretty well. I cut costs when I bought mine and now wish I had gone with the spring pack and monotubes. I have the twin tubes and they seem a bit harsh... but I can still corner well. I also added the adj trac bar from RE and it hasn't given me any trouble. Two friends have bought the HD versions from Rusty's and it seems they are always dealing with a rattle from the TB bracket coming loose.

Dustin_XJ said:
i would not wheel with it until you get an SYE kit.

I disagree.

94 XJ, RE 3.5" SF kit here, I've been wheeling a year and a half without an SYE, no problems.

That being said I do have one ready to go in as soon as I have time.

I to have wheeled without a SYE on my RE 3.5" kit with no problems (with a TC drop) Again that said I have a SYE ready to go in.

I too have a SF 3.5 kit and it performs very well! I will also add that I don't have a SYE kit or the transfer case drop down kit, mine does awesome! But just as an option I would like to get an SYE kit but I am putting in spacers and shackles before that happens... ;)

I would recommend longer brake lines with the kit though.

jast513 said:
I too have a SF 3.5 kit and it performs very well! I will also add that I don't have a SYE kit or the transfer case drop down kit, mine does awesome! But just as an option I would like to get an SYE kit but I am putting in spacers and shackles before that happens... ;)

I would recommend longer brake lines with the kit though.

The kit comes with rear extended brakelines. You can relocate the front, use YJ front lines, or go with the RE braided lines.

Kyle Deidrick said:
The kit comes with rear extended brakelines. You can relocate the front, use YJ front lines, or go with the RE braided lines.

Well apparently I got screwed because mine didn't come with entended rear brakelines, but I would definitely recommend getting some longer rear brakelines and going with the YJ front lines or you can get the Rubicon's braided lines like Kyle said.....

I just went with the new brake lines from Rubicon Express...

jast513 said:
Well apparently I got screwed because mine didn't come with entended rear brakelines, but I would definitely recommend getting some longer rear brakelines and going with the YJ front lines or you can get the Rubicon's braided lines like Kyle said.....

I just went with the new brake lines from Rubicon Express...

:) that sucks, I do know they come with one but im not sure when they started doing that. To verify you can take a look at the equipment included with the kit.

goldhammer said:
Thanks all. About how much of a t/c drop would I be looking at?

Also thinking about replacing the 231 with a 208 out of the 80 and up SJ waggy or chero.

Why wouldnt you run a SYE?

1" TC drop would be the max I would run.

I have also been interested in getting either the 3.5" (RE6030) or the 4.5" (RE6130).

It seems alot of you are saying that the 3.5" is great for a DD XJ with the right shocks... my question is how much of an actual difference is there between the 3.5 and the 4.5 when it comes to on-road handling for a DD.

I have a primarly DD XJ, that i plan on using for crawling / off-roading. I want to make sure i have enough lift, without sacrificing drivability... seems the best set-ups for that would be either 3.5, or 4.5 ... now im just trying to narrow down which one is right for me.

Any suggestions?

Muad'Dib said:
I have also been interested in getting either the 3.5" (RE6030) or the 4.5" (RE6130).

It seems alot of you are saying that the 3.5" is great for a DD XJ with the right shocks... my question is how much of an actual difference is there between the 3.5 and the 4.5 when it comes to on-road handling for a DD.

I have a primarly DD XJ, that i plan on using for crawling / off-roading. I want to make sure i have enough lift, without sacrificing drivability... seems the best set-ups for that would be either 3.5, or 4.5 ... now im just trying to narrow down which one is right for me.

Any suggestions?

With the RE 4.5" lift you will actually get a bit over 5". With the arms in stock locations this will cause your arm angles to be horid which in turn will cause your ride to be considerably rough. I would recommend getting drop brackets if you decide on the 4.5" kit. Now the 3.5" kit wont have that effect as much.

I would recommend going to www.jeepinoutfitters.com and asking jason (owner) to get you a 4.5" kit with the 3.5" springs so that you get the extra benefit of getting all that is included with the 4.5" kit without the ride quality of being lifted that high.

I can grab 208's most any time for around a $100. Still have to deal with drivelines, but a lot cheaper than a SYE, and low range is virtually the same, within a tenth of a turn. Only issue is spline count,stickout, and clocking.

Back