• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Weber Carb Question - 2.5

JeepDawg

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get a Weber installed to replace the stock carb, but the carburetor guy that my mechanics deal with claim that the Weber may present problems because it doesn't fit directly on 2.5/4cyl engines - which is why there is the manifold adapter. Is this true?

First, their carburetor guy "said" that there was no Weber available for this size engine. Now, they are saying that it doesn't fit well....and I'll be better off rebuilding the stock carb. Doesn't sound right to me.....but I'm just checking.

I have an 85 XJ with 2.5l/4cyl. engine.

I installed the Weber 552 kit on my '85 2.5l in January 2005. The basic installation was quick and simple and there were no fitment problems whatsoever.

What did take some time, at least for me the amateur, was adapting the vacuum system relating to the emission controls and it could be that your mechanic simply doesn't want to mess with this. I assume it is technically illegal to alter the system and I probably don't have to tell you that dealing with the rat's nest of vacuum lines, solenoids and controls on the carbureted 2.5 is no fun. Presumably a professional mechanic could do this a lot faster than I.

I make no claim to being an expert on this but will be happy to try to answer any further questions you may have.

Back