• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Flush or Not to Flush - Tranny, $WD, Diff

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
getting conflicting views on changing transmission fluid.....
mechanic says its getting a little dark. it probably has never been changed.
what are you views on this? i've had some people say don't touch it for whatever reason.
97 xj and 2000 xj daily drivers, both 4.0L with AT

how bout the transfer case and diffs?

A drain and fill (NOT flush) would probably be ok, but I'll defer to more experienced opinions. How many miles?

All three should be changed regularly.

Why on earth wouldn't you change the tranny fluid?! As Rob posted, maybe don't do a flush, but all fluids should be changed on a regular or scheduled basis.

Trans. - Drain, (change filter, optional), fill. Dextron III
Transfer Case - Drain, fill - Dextron III

Diffs. - If you have drain plugs, drain, fill. Otherwise remove diff cover - re-gasket (paper AND RTV or just RTV). Your preference of gear oil. I use 75-90 Red Line synthetic.

Definately change it. You can't go wrong changing fluid. However, if your over 85,000 miles it generaly isn't recomended to do a flush. It washes away some of the deposits that build up, and help hold tolerences. If you flush, your tranny may start slipping.

sorry bad choice of words...drain and fill it what i mean, not a flush.
2000 has 80,000 on it and 97 xj has 130,000...not too sure of the past maintenance on them..

thanks

My 98 was drained filter changed and filled with 1/2 new and 1/2 old (from the drainning) transmission fluid at about 80k miles. I'm at 130k with no transmission problems.

transmission fluid has never been changed on the 2000 XJ, 4.0L, AT, 80Kmiles....

my mechanic did some work on it and as a checksum said the tranny fluid looked like it could use a change...

he charges $120 for a fluid replacement...it is pump in/pump out system that gets all the bands?...he said no one drops the pans anymore, the pan stays on and an additive lube is added

any thoughts...?

been reading up and it seems that sometimes people have their ATF changed and tranny problems occurr after that (like slipping).
our tranny runs good now, it just needs the fluid changed...i'm worried its gonna develop a problem (i have bad luck generally).

dumbagain said:
transmission fluid has never been changed on the 2000 XJ, 4.0L, AT, 80Kmiles....

my mechanic did some work on it and as a checksum said the tranny fluid looked like it could use a change...

he charges $120 for a fluid replacement...it is pump in/pump out system that gets all the bands?...he said no one drops the pans anymore, the pan stays on and an additive lube is added

any thoughts...?

been reading up and it seems that sometimes people have their ATF changed and tranny problems occurr after that (like slipping).
our tranny runs good now, it just needs the fluid changed...i'm worried its gonna develop a problem (i have bad luck generally).

If he doesn't drop the pan, how does he change the filter??? :dunno:

Hmmm...how about a little more info on this?

My 90 is having trouble going from 3rd to 2nd when i try to pass someone. I have to manually change gears and it works fine. Also when on 3rd or "D" and i start from a deadstop, it will change fron 1st to 2ndjust fine but 2nd to 3rd very quickly. I was thinking of changing the fluid and filter. What do you guys think?

change your tranny oil as soon as you can. alot of people ignore it and pay for it in the long run...some people get lucky and never change it. lol

Make sure you use the right tranny fluid. Alot of chain parts stores will give you the wrong advice with fluids parts and so on.. Your best bet is to search the threads and benefit from the wealth of information members and users alike have provided us with.

srt-iz said:
Hmmm...how about a little more info on this?

My 90 is having trouble going from 3rd to 2nd when i try to pass someone. I have to manually change gears and it works fine. Also when on 3rd or "D" and i start from a deadstop, it will change fron 1st to 2ndjust fine but 2nd to 3rd very quickly. I was thinking of changing the fluid and filter. What do you guys think?

check fluid, test the tps, and adjust the TV(throttle valve) cable.

Back