• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ 44 vs. XJ 44 vs. 8.25

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
I might get a good deal on tj (2001), rear 44. Is there any significant drawback of this axle? Or is just the bracketry different? I would like to put in the rear of my XJ. I know that I will have to redo the bracketry, but thats not a problem. The XJ runs in competition, has to have stock axles (as far as type), will run 32x11,5x15 TSL/SX with aussie/detroit.

XJ 44 are very very rare here, othervise I wouldnt hassle with the tj44.

The only other axle which comes to task is 8.25 (29 spl) but I am not very happy with the cklips as we cannot do the disc conversion. But the rigidity of the housing might be better than with the 44. Another question is that if the 29 spl axles could be broken with 32" SXs.

Any opinions?

You got it pretty well coverd.

actually you can do a disk brake conversion on a 8.25 rather easily.

but i would go with the TJ D44 shave the brackets off and weld your leaf spring perches on. it's a good solid axle.

scorpio_vette said:
actually you can do a disk brake conversion on a 8.25 rather easily.

but i would go with the TJ D44 shave the brackets off and weld your leaf spring perches on. it's a good solid axle.

Actually I think the issue is not the ability to do the conversion, but the limitations of his "class"

bigdaddyjlove said:
Actually I think the issue is not the ability to do the conversion, but the limitations of his "class"
Yeah thats how I read it too.He can make the TJ axle look just like it came off an XJ.
BTW,you'll have to redo the shock mounts also.not a problem MORE has complete units.

bigdaddyjlove said:

True, rear brakes have to remain stock

so the general consensus is to go with 44?
I am leaning towards it too, I was thinking of BTF truss, full detroit and ubolt style yoke.

Anyother thing that sais no for the 8.25 are the adjusters used instead of the carries shims, which fall out when you pull the carrier. I cannot imagine how I would have to readjust them in if would have to pull the carrier between trials.

does the TJ 44 come with 4.10 gears?

Yes,theyre not in "all" of them though!

JNickel101 said:
does the TJ 44 come with 4.10 gears?
Depends on the motor and package.

Back