• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger tires, more vibes?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok I just put my summer tires back on, 32" swampers. Ive had a slight vibe/shake ~55 from I think the front end. Now it is far worse since I put the tires back on.

What is likely to be causing this with the heavier tires? I mean, it must be TREs or ball joints I would think, maybe axle U-joints? I just need somewhere to start. What seems likely?

Its really like a shaking, the passenger seat shakes, rear view mirror shakes. I have new ends on the trac bar, for what that's worth.

Any help would be great, I only have this afternoon to tear into this.

Thanks.

like you said, TRE's, Ball Joints.....shocks...double check your trackbar - make sure the bolts are cranked down good...maybe have the tires rebalanced, could be a combo of that smaller vibe + tire out of balance...

Ive got airsoft BBs in there on these tires, however many the charts floating around recommend. I also am pretty sure I could use new shocks, I am using 3" lift shocks on a 4.5" lifted vehicle, so it rides rough.

Going to do a quick string alignment shortly, and drop the pressure. Im running at ~35 PSI, searching on here shows most people prefer ~28 in thier swampers.

i've heard of bad/worn out shocks causing symptoms of "death wobble" and the bigger/heavier tires could magnify that...

try lowering your tire pressure to 30...

Im replacing the TREs (80K+ on them) at least, and ordering up some shocks, they are both needed parts anyways even if they don't fix what's broken.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :cheers:

sounds good :)

Ok Ive replaced the TREs, no difference. Shocks are on order.

Im really thinking ball joints. Tell me if this is logical.

I put the new tires, AND rims that move the tires out a bit more on. This leverage change would effect the ball joints most, correct?

Time to revisit. New TREs, both ends of the trac bar are good. Had an alignment done, dealership said everything up front looked good. No doubt they would have taken the chance to sell me stuff. New shocks all around, took it in for an inspection another garage claims everything up front is tight. Lets look at the rear, then.

I had to swap the winter tires on again for inspection, and vibes are moved to a higher speed, and definately lessened. Could the larger tires, being harder to turn, cause axle wrap on acceleration? I have a TC drop and a shim, 6 degree if I remember right. Maybe the heavier tires are causing the vibes from the rear that are less obvious than with the lighter tires?

Back