• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a write-up on removing ABS?

BigReady

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have or know where a write-up is on removing the ABS brake system? I want to install an Airflow snorkel from DPG, but I have a 99 with ABS. From what i have read i have to remove the ABS and that's it. I want the Airflow because it is less restricting.
Thanks for the help.

ABS may save your keester one day, and it may also save mine too. I would just leave it alone....

There has to be another comapny the makes a snorkel for an ABS equipped vehicle....

There is ARB but it is really restricting of airflow to the engine not to mention the large price difference...the Airflow snorkel which i ran on my 89 is as direct as possible to the air box...and i have read the hose on the ARB will fall out after a full stuff because it is run inside the fender. Also i will not have to move my washer fluid bottle. Airflow is a much better snorkel with a much easier install. I drive like an old man on the road anyways.

BigReady said:
There is ARB but it is really restricting of airflow to the engine not to mention the large price difference...the Airflow snorkel which i ran on my 89 is as direct as possible to the air box...and i have read the hose on the ARB will fall out after a full stuff because it is run inside the fender. Also i will not have to move my washer fluid bottle. Airflow is a much better snorkel with a much easier install. I drive like an old man on the road anyways.

I have the ARB, no issues with air flow.

I'm getting ready to remove the ABS on my trail rig due to the fact it is not working anyway and I don't like ABS for trail running.

From what I have read, you need to disconnect the ABS unit and pull the fuse, remove the ABS light bulb in the dash.

If you want to remove the unit entirely, then you need to re-plumb the brake lines, I haven't got that far yet, thats next weekend. I'll take pics and post them. My trail rig is a 96 and I also have a non-ABS 96 that I can use for reference for the brake line plumbing.

Also to remove the axle harnesses' just remove the sensors, and follow the harness to the next connector and unplug it, remove the harness

Back