• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gear ratios were offered for the 87-90 Xj's?

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
At some point my XJ had the Pukegoat 5spd and was owned by the US government, what I want to know is what ratios were available for this thing.

Right now it has 3.07:1 gears. What was the Auto supposed to come with?? I have heard several different answers and I want something clear now....

It does have a class III hitch, but was not orignally equipped with tow package....

4.0/auto came with 3.55, (some with the tow package had 3.73 but not all)
2.5/5 speed came with 4.10
2.5/auto came with 4.56 (rare)

Mine used to be a government rig, I counted (twice) the turns of driveline compared to the tire and came up twice with just over 3 turns of driveline to one turn of tire....

I would love to have a little lower gear (hgiher numerical ratio, lower speed) for towing (required for the family biz of lawn care), but I will take what I have got....

It gets roughly 20 MPG on the highway, but suffer in town with roughly 12MPG....

I can still do a burn out though, so I guess it still has plenty of balls.....

one option would be to hit the junkyards and get some axles off an auto xj to swap in, you can likely get them for less than it would cost to regear your axles, and if you get the rear off a 97+ w/out ABS it is 99% likely to be a 8.25 which is way stronger than the d35 (do a search for pics etc, it is easy to tell the difference visually) to keep the disco front you will have to get the front from another RENIX era jeep, or you can eliminate it by going to a newer axle, just stay away from the 2000+ fronts as they are lp d30s and are weaker...and make damn sure the ratios are the same between the 2 axles you get or your t-case will go boom the first time you put it in 4x4
:skull2:

also talk to the d00d at the yard, he might give you a break if you bring him your old axles

I would rather stick with the Dana 44 that is under it now....

If I was really gung ho about changing the gear sets, I woulod have done it by now....

I like my mileage, but don't like the fact that it will be working the tranny extra hard during heavy towing....

Oh well, you win some, you lose some....

are you sure its a D44? if so you are one lucky dog, factory xj D44's are really rare and AFAIK only came on a select few with the factory tow package.

as for an 8.25 with factory 4.10s your best bet would be a 97+ 5spd 4 banger, but I'm not sure if they put the 8.25 in 4 banger jeeps :dunno:

cgmrdc said:
did the 8.25 come factory with 4.10s?
Yea they do exist in the 4 popper xj's that did nto get the D35.

cool beans, he should stick with the 44 for sure then, I was just assuming it was a 35 since he said it didn't come with the factory tow package...must be under there since its a gov job ;)

Back