• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truetrac question

NickThePyro

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Detroit truetrac from a member here and it was a front dana 44 truetrac. It has to go in a rear Dana 44 in my XJ. I read that you have to switch the inside gears in them to make it work in the rear axle. But I read this on a land rover forum so I dont know if you have to do that on cherokees because the front is reverse cut if I remember right. If anybody knows that would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,
Nick

My suggestion would be to call the Eaton @ (800) 386-1911.

Some people might say aww. they won't know, but I'd give it a shot. They could at least tell you if it's two different part #'s and why. Well, maybe why...

Dana 44 30 3.92 up 913A333
Dana 44 30 3.73 dn 913A334
Dana 44 30 3.92 up 913A313
Dana 44 30 3.73 dn 913A312

What do ya know, different part numbers for front and rear. I did not know this when I picked up my new TT, second hand. I wonder if it has to do with the gears being a helical cut. I imagine if you have a front in the rear it simply won't lock, but will still be driveable. I'd be interested to know how this works.

I knew they had different part numbers but I didnt know if the high pinion/low pinion/normal/reverse cut or anything made any differences to which way it spins. Im getting my gears installed this week so im gonna have the guy switch the gears. The link I had saved that shows how to switch the gears is not working now :(

Back