• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Help?

dangerouslyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This might be an off question but I really need some help with some steering angles.

Situation: '91 Jeep cherokee, d30/35.
Front coil suspension swapped out for leaf springs. Donor d44 and leaf springs came frome a '87 Grand Wagoneer.

Problem:
Obviously my steering is going to have to be custom made but im not planning on really offroading it for a while so im not going to run flat top knuckles...but...how exactly do i go about getting new drag links and tierods?
Will i need a drop pitman arm? all id like is some links maybe and some hopeful advice about how to measure and possibly make a new draglink and or tierod

Thanks in advance
Scotty

with a leaf spring front suspension, ideal geometry comes when you have the drag link FLAT (level to the ground) at ride height... This is needed with leaf springs to avoid bump steer - because there is no trackbar to make the axle move in an arc, so by having the drag link flat at ride height, the bump steer is minimized...

the steering pitman arm from the donor Waggy ought to bolt right up to your steering box and will be the right sector shaft - drag link TRE diestance to match the throw on your knuckles, but it will not be enough drop to get your drag link flat..

High steer arms will put you closer to having a flat drag link at ride height...

A MASSIVE drop pittman arm might get you ideal geometry, but it would hang down so far, I wouldnt want it...

spend the coin, get some flat top knuckles, and high steer arms...

as for measuring for new linkage... if you cant figure out how to center the axle under the jeep, and measure from the center of one hole to the center of another with a tape measure, then make something connect them later - either no one can help you, or you drink a lot better beer than I do while fabricating... :D

there isnt that much too it really - you're over thinking the complexitiy of measuring...

It was all new to me at first. With a little research you can do it, so don't worry. There's lots of options and write ups out there and I read a bunch of them before welding anything on my 44. Are you going spring over or under? The crossover steering or hi-steer might not work on your setup if the leaf springs are in the way. For my steering I welded all my brackets and put the axle under load below the jeep with everything (except steering stuff) connected. Then I explored my options...

Make sure when you measure a tie rod or a drag link length you give room for adjustment both in and out. That way you can align your rig.

Back