• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A good lift

BubaXj89

NAXJA Forum User
What is a good lift kit for a 89 cherokee like I want to do 3.5" but I would like to know what is a good brand to get ?

and do you really need to lower the transfer case ?

You have lots of reading to do...and searching

But just for shits and grins...what exactly do you want to do with it? Rocks? Trails?

and no, you dont have to lower the TC - you should just do it right and do a Slip Yoke Eliminator.

rusty's is good, but rubicon express is my personal choice.
as far as drop kit or sye, with a drop kit mine has vibes mainly due to age, so if you got the money do an sye. i also tried without a drop case and the vibes got so bad that it vibed my rear view mirror off, loosened my u-bolts and blew a u-joint in half...

RE is a solid kit...

Rusty's is VERY hit and miss...he'll rape you on shipping too. Springs are decent, but anything that moves (control arms, track bar, etc), look out.

What size tires do you want to run?

BubaXj89 said:
What is a good lift kit for a 89 cherokee like I want to do 3.5" but I would like to know what is a good brand to get ?

and do you really need to lower the transfer case ?
I also have an '89 I will be lifting soon.

What transfer case do you have? Mine is an NP242, so no SYE for available me.
Keep reading, keep gathering parts.
A few more things to think about; rear axle degree shims, longer bump stops, front sway bar bracket length, adjustable track bar, brake line length . . .

Don't ask me for answers, I haven't done my lift yet, but I sure have a big pile of parts.

BubaXj89 said:
I want to do trails, rocks, and mud
and the rubbicon express it is a nice one ?

RE Superflex kits are very well made and they flex extremely well. Paired up with OME shocks you will have a top notch lift. I would recommend the RE6030 kit with full springs and I would add a adjustable track bar also. Give Donald a call at www.dc4wd.com for the best prices on RE kits/parts.

BubaXj89 said:
I also heard from my friends that rusty's off road is a good place to find lift kits
Smack your friends on the side of the head a couple times. :rof:

You should tell us how much your willing to spend. You can go with junkyard parts for a $100 lift, or you can shell out $1000 for an OME kit.

For a great price and excellent customer service, contact grimus99xj here on the board. His name is Jason and he is a Rough Country rep. I bought my lift through him and he stands by his products and will do everything possible to make sure you are satisfied

89er said:
What transfer case do you have? Mine is an NP242, so no SYE for available me.

Not true - Check out http://www.4xshaft.com. (Tom Woods). They have SYE for the 242

Yep, I have it in mine with 6.5" of lift. It works swell, no issues.

Inch by inch, slowly you will want MORE lift... Go ahead an ask me how i know this, go ahead.. LOL The 6.5 lift is a good lift for the price..So call rough country or go to there web site...If you are going to krawl over stuff like rocks, i would go with the 6.5 lift... Do a search on rough country, also do one on RE... Love my RC...

lowrange2 said:
Good luck getting anyone on the phone. But if you do please let us know...

I ordered my lift and SYE from DC4WD.com on two seperate orders. I left a message and had a return call within 20 minutes. He might not answer, but he calls right back. Good prices and a good guy to deal with, I think.

Back