• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chop Top Question-

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so im cutting the top off my 99 XJ and making it a removable hard top. :explosion

I have almost everything planned out, but Im stuck and want advice on some things.

In running 1/2 doors all around, an MJ tail gate on the rear, will be bracing the floor w/ 1.5" tube, already have a 3/16s frame, 4 cross members/braces underneath, bucket seats and 5 point harness.
The XJ has a pre existing 6 point internal cage which Im cutting out after the new cage is in.

Plan is to exo the front half with 1.5", toss on a small functioning stinger out of 2", tie into the interior 2" cage through the fender and fire wall at the A-pillar which will go through the dash to a large plate on the floor that also ties into the frame (different than most cages because its not tied into rock sliders).

Ok so where Im stuck is I want to have plenty of head room, I hate the confined feeling every internal cage gives me (im fairly tall). Ive decided that I want to raise the cage up a little to give a little more head room. At the same time I want to be able to put my top, hatch, and full doors back on in the winter. The plan is to seal it with camper shell weather stripping knowing its not going to be 100% water proof. So how do I raise the cage up, and still keep the roof close enough to seal and keep the rear hatch close enough it will still latch?
Right now im thinking a 1/2"+ rise above the window and sloping it down (like 2.5*) to the rear. Ill just pull the 3 or 4 inches of roof Im leaving up to match the top. That way the rear will still sit at the stock height, but it shouldn’t be very noticeable.
What do you think?

Anyone have any great ideas on how to make the top seal above the window that will also look clean when the tops off?
Im thinking thinking a locking little tray above the cage kinda like " --\_ " if that makes since to anyone (it does in my mind).

I also want to move my cheapo 5 points to the rear. What brands do people who actually run harnesses recomend? Im kind of leaning towards Simpsons or Crow.

Also I plan to use my cage, Im trying to figure out exactly what design I want to use from the support above the windshield to the brace just behind the drivers seat. I dont want it to look like someone got a little too excited with the tubing bender, but I dont want a rock to be able to come in and injure someone.
Right now im thinking a roof design like this:
22222222222.jpg

This is what Im working with/ where Im at now:
0406081914.jpg

And before anyone says any thing ive read the removable hard top thread on PBB and also seen all of his pictures, including the ones he didnt post.

Ill also post step by step pics in advanced fab after the projects further along.
:gee: :gee: :gee:

Last edited:
Back