• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squealing, clicking, grinding in front axle

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,
My 99 XJ started making a strange noise in the passenger side of the front axle today. It's a mixture of a squealing, grinding, and clicking noise. It really sounds like a rock caught in a hubcap, but my Jeep doesn't have hubcaps. Being the simpleton that I am, I started off by checking the diff fluid, and replacing the rotors and pads on both sides (it was well past due). After I did that, it smoothed my brakes out, but left the noise. I then removed the front driveshaft thinking maybe it was either the front u-joint or the double u-joint conglomeration on the back (I forget the name right now), still no change. I don't want to keep throwing parts at this, the brakes needed to be done, so that's fine, but I'd rather not spend any more money than necessary. So basically now I'm down to thinking it's either...

A. The hub bearing (I've never heard one go out, so I don't know what it sounds like).
B. The corresponding axle shaft joint.
C. Something inside the diff messed up.

I think that's really about all I'm down to. If anyone could lend suggestions that would be fantastic, I'm running out of ideas and money.
Thanks,
Collin

Last edited:
tupton said:
Could be a bearing, could also be something in the diff.
I was also leaning towards hub bearing, but it doesn't seem like there is excessive play in it like there is when they're way gone. I forgot I should also add the fact that I didn't see any metal shavings in the differential fluid, I don't know if that would change things one way or the other though. Oh and the Jeep has just over 102,000 miles.

tupton said:
OK, so your saying you did replace your front diff fluid and inspected the spider gears, ring and pinion?

If so, then I would def lean towards a hub bearing.
No, sorry about that, I just pulled plug and stuck my finger in to check fluid level. The fluid that ran out of the hole looked black but free of any foreign particles. You're saying that should maybe be my next step eh?

does it make these noises all the time or just certain times???

it really sounds like the bearing or front axle u-joints

Fred85 said:
does it make these noises all the time or just certain times???

it really sounds like the bearing or front axle u-joints
It made the noise all the time whether turning, going straight, fast, slow, etc. Found out my passenger side hub bearing decided to blow it's guts out of the backside. Apparently a lot of gritty stuff got in there and was causing it to make a grinding noise. I'm surprised one went out at just over 100k but stranger things have happened. Thanks for all the advice gents.

Collin, a hub bearing grind will quiet down when you turn. A axle u-joint won't quiet down at all.

ia green96 said:
Collin, a hub bearing grind will quiet down when you turn. A axle u-joint won't quiet down at all.
That's good to know, it was for sure the hub bearing though. I must have missed the fact that it quieted down around turns, and I really didn't drive it much because the noise was awful. That's really good to know for the future though, I had never actually heard one of these things fail before.

Back