• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modifying distributor to adjust timing

Yes. If you cut the "feet" off(the tabs that index it to the retainer bolt) you can adjust the timing.
I cut mine off so that I could advance the timing slightly for my stroker.

turning the distributor on our 4.0s will not adjust ignition timing. It will adjust injector timing.

not saying your wrong in the least bit, but how does the injector timing go off the dist. ? I thought that was what the crank sensor was for. And wouldn't turning the dist. have to advance the timing also?

ipkyss said:
not saying your wrong in the least bit, but how does the injector timing go off the dist. ? I thought that was what the crank sensor was for. And wouldn't turning the dist. have to advance the timing also?
The camshaft position sensor in the distributor is what tells the PCM the valve timing so it knows when to fire the injectors. The CPS/crankshaft position sensor is what the PCM uses to determine ignition timing.

I understand in theory it should make no difference where the distributer is located as long as it is close to being on #1 when indexed. In reality when I cut the tabs and set it slightly advanced it runs better. More power, slightly better mileage.

Keep in mind mine is a RENIX, also my engine is newly rebuilt and is bored out and milled/decked. That could contribute to my engine liking more timming.

I can't explain it, only attest to it working for me.

You just changed your injector timing, it will have some effect on performance.

All moving the dizzy around will do is change injector timing and make the cap less in phase with the rotor.

BlueCuda said:
You just changed your injector timing, it will have some effect on performance.

All moving the dizzy around will do is change injector timing and make the cap less in phase with the rotor.
Yup!

Interesting, I merely followed the instructions for my stroker kit(Hesco).
I aSSumed it was for the ignition timing, ya learn something new everyday.

Back