• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idel is way t o High on my 01

GREATWHITEJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my Jeep running after swapping in a newer motor . Had a few problems along the way but most of them are taken care of . Right now though it is ideling at about 1100-1200 . I am not sure waht to adjust to get it down. Any Ideas? Could it be that the computer is still setting perameters or do I have a problem? Thansk Rich

A dirty Idle Air Controller will cause this problem. Dirt between the seat and disc keeps the IAC from closing off idle air and dirt on the pintle will slow down the response time of the IAC solenoid.
The IAC is attached to the throttlebody with 2 T-20 bolts (IIRC) and is located in the rear of the TB on the passenger side. The seat and the air port inside the TB along with the disc and pintle need to be cleaned with throttlebody cleaner. This should remedy the problem.

Last edited:
Check your coolant temp. You might have air in the system an/or the wrong coolant mixture. Another thing you might want to check is your electric fan wire. When I installed my header I forgot to hook it back up and I was running hot.

Usually when my 99 is running hot in these situations my idle is about what you said. The computer "knows" its hot via the coolant temp. sensor so it makes it idle fast so that the fan turns faster, and the water pump pushes more coolant.

I agree with the above posts, but also check for vacume leaks, or lines not hooked up. TigerShark, you just had to type faster didn't you? LOL

First thing to check is the intake manifold bolts. I chased this problem for weeks, spent better than $200 and it turned out to be 4 loose bolts.

Not sure what it was ,but it fixed itself . it was sucking alot of air into the IAC orrifice ,and i noticed if i partilly bloked the opening with a my hand or a shop towel it would drop the engine speed . I turned it off an on a few times and now it is running fine . I thnk maybe there may have been some debri in the IAC ,but it might have cleared out on its own. Thanks guys

Back