• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple questions about removing shocks??

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
i know someone is already talking about shocks on here but i need some adivce

i NEED to replace all 4 shocks on my 89 xj tomorrow, the front seems easy..i used an electric impact gun on the bottom bolts they snapped then i was able to get the bolts out, I havent taken the top bolts off yet but they seem loose and will be no problem,

for the rear, i tried using an electric impact gun on the bottom 19mm bolt and it didnt budge, is this just because it too tight do i need to use an air compressed impact gun for the job?

try spraying with some pb blaster every day for about a week and then remove the hardware by hand. If you use an impact you will probably break something.

The top rear bolts will most likely snap. Buy some replacements.
Get out your punch and hit the nut at the edge, not the center. This way will pry up the other welds. Feed the new bolt down the hole. There is enough access to tighten them down.

Put some Anit-Seize compound on the bushing of the rear shock through bolts. This will prevent them from seizing to the lower stud. Not the threaded part.

On your front shocks with bottom bolts out grab hold of shock and work it back an forth it will break the top stud right off.

Back