• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody replaced vacuum reservoir with pump?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Back-story: my other car is an 85 Cadillac that has a vacuum pump to help maintain full-time pressure on the vacuum system, so that the power brakes are always fully loaded regardless of other things like air conditioning. I got to thinking, maybe replace the XJ vacuum reservoir canister with a pump...

Anybody tried it? It would make the brakes less spongy, use less space, etc. The downside is that aftermarket pumps are pretty expensive. Like this one from Summit Racing is $330...

clp-12vvcp_w.jpg

They are pretty common with hot-rodders for the extra braking, and the XJ braking sucks, so.. maybe worth it

hmmm.... sounds like it could be done. let me know how it turns out if you try it

The vaccum for the booster goes directly into the manifold. If you don't have good vaccum there, you have bigger issues than getting rid of the vaccum canister.

It would be much cheaper to upgrade to a dual diaphram booster and a diffrent mc. There are alot of good write-ups on the subject. Vaccum is not the problem with poor XJ brakes.

I have a pump like the one in the picture that I had on a CJ7 project at one time. It is very noisy as it cycles on and off. I ran it for a month or so and removed it.

Back