• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 fuel pump

Shorty said:
double check pos (+) and neg (-) are correct. Pump is a DC motor and it'll run either way-- but it'll only pump one way.

Good point, and make sure the positive terminal is not grounded out against the pump bracket. Some replacement pumps do not fit the bracket good with out modifieing the bracket itself.

I need some help with locating the correct fuel pump for my 1988 40.L XJ Limited. I replaced the fuel pump a couple of times on my original 1988 40.L XJ Limited and never had a problem getting the correct pump. This is the first time I've needed to replace the pump on this 1988 40.L XJ Limited and everyone wants to sell me the wrong one. And, the local Jeep dealer has the correct pump (exactly the same as my original) but wants to rip me off more than $300 for a ~ $100 pump.

The original pump (factory original) is shown in the first two pictures and the third picture is the wrong one the parts stores want to sell me - - - this has been a real mess. I even let them convince me this wrong pump was correct - - so, I made a slight modification to the mounting bracketry to accommodate the different style, installed it and, it didn't work. (I hope these pictures attach.)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-5/1310735/Redsfuelpumpa.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-5/1310735/Redsfuelpumpb.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-5/1310735/Wrongpump.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer. And, yes, per the above posts, I have considered whether I might have had it wired backwards - - - - gee, I was so careful about that . . . I just cannot believe that's it. If what I am calling the wrong pump really will work (after modifying the bracketry), I might be convinced what I had installed was a defective new pump.

Very frustrated,

Don

Don Becker said:
I need some help with locating the correct fuel pump for my 1988 40.L XJ Limited. I replaced the fuel pump a couple of times on my original 1988 40.L XJ Limited and never had a problem getting the correct pump. This is the first time I've needed to replace the pump on this 1988 40.L XJ Limited and everyone wants to sell me the wrong one. And, the local Jeep dealer has the correct pump (exactly the same as my original) but wants to rip me off more than $300 for a ~ $100 pump.

The original pump (factory original) is shown in the first two pictures and the third picture is the wrong one the parts stores want to sell me - - - this has been a real mess. I even let them convince me this wrong pump was correct - - so, I made a slight modification to the mounting bracketry to accommodate the different style, installed it and, it didn't work. (I hope these pictures attach.)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-5/1310735/Redsfuelpumpa.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-5/1310735/Redsfuelpumpb.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-5/1310735/Wrongpump.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer. And, yes, per the above posts, I have considered whether I might have had it wired backwards - - - - gee, I was so careful about that . . . I just cannot believe that's it. If what I am calling the wrong pump really will work (after modifying the bracketry), I might be convinced what I had installed was a defective new pump.

Very frustrated,

Don
Did you check your "Ballast Resistor"?

Oh, yes, checked it and replaced it, just for fun. Oh, here's another piece I forgot to mention: My original fuel pump still works - - it's just noisy - - I have put it back in and (except for the noise) it works fine. Don

Thanks but, as best I can tell from the picture, that's the style of the "wrong" pump. And, it says it's for the 2WD. Plus, when I attempt to search for the 4X4 pump their site tells me they don't have one. Don

The part numbers for the 2wd and 4wd are the same.

Thanks. Somehow, I wasn't able to determine that. I will take the number and go take a look. Don

Okay, I went over to AutoZone today and looked at that pump. It is just the same as the others that I am referring to as the "wrong" pump.

It just really seems someone on the forum must have run-up against this.

I'm nearing the point where I may just buy another of these "wrong" fuel pumps and install it on the assumption that 1) the new one I previously installed was just defective or 2) as much as I really don't believe this, I reversed the connections.

This is a nasty job. I sure could use a little more assurance from those that may have installed a different-than-original equipment pump in an '88 or similar year.

Wouldn't you think if modifying the bracketry, so it would accept a replacement pump, was necessary something would be said in the instructions with the new pump. Is there any chance this new pump runs the other direction and I actually needed to reverse the polarity?

'Anyone want to tell me to stop whinning, buy the "wrong pump" again, install it and see what happens?

Don

I looked up the part numbers in my parts guide and it showed the same PN. Not sure I have much more to add. I'm sure the pump is not returnable if you can't get it to fit.

My neighbor has a 2002 TJ that tossed it's pump. He got one locally and had to tweak it a bit to fit. Maybe it's the same issue. He did get it running.

Yes, I can (and have) made this "wrong" pump fit - - that wasn't a big problem with my Dremmel Tool.

The problem was, and what I want to try to avoid happening again, the thing did not pump gas . . nothing, nada, no run, nothing at the fuel rail.

And, NAPA did take that one back, labeling it as defective.

Don

Let me ask one more question. Okay, among my choices of "wrong" fuel pumps, I seem to have a choice of pumps that put-out 65 psi and either 18 or 24 gallons per hour.

What would be the performance difference? More fuel available when needed for power when pulling a load, up hill, etc?

Thanks

Don

Wow. The help here has been a little, shall we say, skinny.

But, out of respect to those that did try to help, I'll close this out.

This morning, I have installed the same make and part number fuel pump as the one that I installed and wouldn't pump about a week ago. NAPA P74155. My cost <$84. It is in, it works and no noise.

I conclude that the one from a week ago was a brand new defective pump.

Also, this time, I did not remove the tank entirely. I ran it nearly out of gas, loosened the straps, dropped it down and supported it. My thinking on tank removal is now changed. Dropping it down and supporting it is a very good compromise, relatively easy and much better than trying to do it with the tank in place (I'll never do that one again!) or completely removing the tank. Don

Hi Don, I realize you have completed your project. On my 1988 Cherokee, I changed the fuel pump when I put on a new gas tank. The first fuel pump I tried was from Auto Zone, it did not at all fit the brackets. I did not even try to make it fit. So, I searched for and found an exact original equipment on Ebay made by Bosch and purchased it for a reasonable price. I have heard and I have read in some of the other threads that many of the after market fuel pumps have the terminal connection polarity swapped relative to Bosch fuel pumps. The terminal connectons can be tricky and bench testing a dry pump can damage it. I want to thank you for your first photo of your correct, OE Bosch Fuel pump. It answered my quesiton. That the large spade connector is the positive connector. -Orson

Orson, I'm glad there was some help here. Yes, mine is in there and working fine. Hindsight being what it is, I sure wish I had posted a picture of the modified bracketry. But, it is pretty obvious what has to be done when you're faced with having to install the "new and improved version" pump. A Dremmel tool works-over the metal just fine. But, gee, how often do you buy a new part that requires modification of anything where the manufacturer just "totally uncaring" leaves you in the lurch with not only no instructions but no notice or acknowledgment any modifications are required . . . 'pretty sad. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to locate the original equipment version at a reasonable price - - - simpler! Don

Back