• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 JEEP CHEROKEE A/C QUESTION

REPOXP777

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know how much refrigerant the entire system holds ?? I just finished retrofitting my a/c from R12 to R134 . I am in the process of vaccuming the system , its holding a good vaccum , now I am ready to charge it . (89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Renix) Thank you .

REPOXP777 said:
I just finished retrofitting my a/c from R12 to R134 .

My compressor just croaked too. I haven't decided if I'm staying with R-12 or convert. What exactly did you do for this conversion? Did you replace the o-rings? Flush the system? Change any other components? ???

there are drop in replacements for R12 available but you'll need to be cfc certified to purchase them forget about using 12 its too rare/costly

I still need a compressor and a dryer. I plan to change all of the seals/o-rings anyway. So swapping out seals and stuff for R-134 instead of R-12 is no big deal. Since I'll have it all apart anyway, I might as well do it "right".

There are plenty of people selling R-12 on eBay without asking for a 609 certificate. Generally, I've observed it runs about $15-$20 per 1 lbs can. Yes, it's pricey. So I weighing the total cost of repairing and stay with R-12 or repairing/converting.

By the time I do this, I'll have my 609 cert anyway.

Saudade said:
My compressor just croaked too. I haven't decided if I'm staying with R-12 or convert. What exactly did you do for this conversion? Did you replace the o-rings? Flush the system? Change any other components? ???
My compressor didnt croak , it worked fine with the remaining r12 that was in the system . The reson that I did the conversion to 134 was that I found a very small leak in the system were the lines go into the compressor . So I recovered the remaining R12 , fixed the leak , vacced the system and let it hold a vac to make sure it was tight . Drained oil from compressor , put the same amount of oil back in that I drained out (PAG) . I put about 32 ozs of 134 before the preasure on the low side read 24 pounds shut it off and let it sit for about 5 min to let the system even out . Started it back up and checked the low pressure side it was about 26 or 27 pounds right where I wanted it . I let it idle for about 5 min outside , temp was about 85F . Checked the temp coming out of the vent with the a/c on max , fan on high . It got down to 41F coming out of the vent . Now the big question will be how long it will last . I hope through the summer it is getting hot out .

Back