• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuse blowing expedition!!!!!

palmetto_xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have aftermarket for lights on my xj. The fuse just recently blew so i went and bout a pack of the same size. They're the glass fuses. As soon as both ends make contact with fuse it immediately blows. Btw, from the one wire running from the battery which has the fuse, i have it runnig to 2 switches for the fog lights in the front and rear. Any ideas why?

Well, simply, because it's drawing too much current.

You imply that you've had this setup for some time, and that it did work normally for a time, correct?

Most likely, something is grounding out. A length of wire has rubbed its isulation off, and is shorting out to the body of the jeep.

If the fuse blows even with the switches turned off, the the fault is between the fuse holder and the switches (or maybe in the switch itself.)

If you can get a multimeter, check continuity from the protected side of the fuse to ground. Like I said, it's likely shorted, 0 ohms. Start disconnecting stuff til the short goes away.

That's your culprit.

Good luck!
Robert

Back