• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box bolts.. who broke theres

2000Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i am just wondering how many people broke there steering box bolts when installing there new bumpers. i am going to be installing my JCR offroad stage 2 bumper and unibody frame tie ins on friday and i really dont want to break any bolts. is there anything that i can do to prevent that? i need to drive my XJ everyday and cant afford for it to be out of commision while i wait for new parts to come in to fix it

Soak them down with WD40 or equivalent a few days ahead of time, add some more everytday. I had no trouble with mine when I made my steering box tie ins for my bumper. I replaced the bolts with longer ones but I do carry the stockers for spares just in case.

I have found the newer XJ's are more prone to breaking those bolts. Not really any preventative measures you can take because the spacer plate is aluminum and the bolts and steering box are steel. This causes a dissimilar metals corrosion and the bolts will snap right at the spacer. I guess being prepared for it to happen is better than prevention. Get replacement bolts and a replacement spacer, so if/when the bolts snap, you won't be stuck in the garage because you can't drive your jeep. Here is a tech article I did on this some time ago to help you with part numbers and how to remove the broken bolts: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_steering_box_bolt.htm

Back