• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Sagging rear end

01din

NAXJA Forum User
'99 Cherokee at 135,000 miles, with new shock absorbers about a year ago, but rear of the XJ sags - the suspension has not collapsed, but it sits much lower than it should (and even lower than the front end), and I need to know what to replace.

Thanks again

Lifting your XJ is a very personal decision, but if you are not ready for a much rougher ride, well I guess stock leaf spring replacement is your best choice.

I would seriously consider a lift though. Even if you don't intend on larger tires.

I purchased a 4.5" Rough Country lift for $495 and $35 shipping. Since you hare having leaf spring issues, you may wish to spend the extra $250(?) on complete replacement springs from Rough Country.

I've had my 98 XJ (130lk) lifted since October. I just love it.

future_xj5.jpg

Good advice - I've replaced leaf springs on another car before, but never an XJ. Without a lift (havent decided yet), is the removal/installation process of new leaf springs difficult? Whats the basic procedure?

Thanks

Pretty simple and straightforward. I am sure if you do a search you can find a write-up, but if you are even somewhat mechanically inclined you can do it.

Replacing the leaf springs is the easiest part of a lift, of course I just watched a buddy of mine put the lift on at his shop. ;)

I am sorry to say, but cars, like people, tend to have saggy rear ends later on life...

J/K, I would replace the springs. I have had a few friends with XJ's, most had started to sag. If you tow with it, the sag even sooner....

The springs on my 87 are sagging, but not too bad as yet. When they do get to bad, I may go with a mild lift, say about 2-3"?

When my '99 was sagging as yours is, this is what I did:
Because I was(and still am not) not ready for a full blown lift just yet I ordered the replacement leaf srpings from Quadractec; part# 56010.11 with the 7" arch. These are said to be the one that come stock on Up Country model Cherokees. Also got new u-bolts, and rubber bushings. With these springs on I needed a 1 3/4" front spring spacer to level out the height. This was my "budget boost". Total lift was 1 3/4" in the front/ and about 2 1/4" in the rear due to the fact that my leafs were sagging about 1". And I am very happy with the ride and the way it looks. Just letting you know what I did in your situation.

We've been running airshocks on out XJ's, the ride is nice when you have the airpressure around 35psi with the truck level front to back. If you run about 40 psi the truck will sit a little hight in the rear (tire to flair gap is about the same as the front too) but still rides decent.

my '01 was sagging very badly

i took the cheapest way out, 2" AAL

it's taken about a month to settle in the back, but my jeep looks stock again......i haven't really noticed the ride get any harsher, but it didn't ride great to begin with :D

Just change your rear springs. (its EASY)
I just did mine yesterday. worked slow and took time for lunch, 2 hrs.
Got my inch and a half back!!!
went from this..........
3.jpg

To this............
4.jpg

before....
7.jpg

after.....
8.jpg

When the shackles kill these "wrecking yard springs".. guess it will be time to lift. ;)

I'm on the same boat, my rear is also sagging pretty bad and would like to get a little more lift. Do you think new springs from Quadractec..part# 56010.11 along with shackles in the rear and springs from a v8 grand cherokee will also work?

Just looking for some advise.

I had the same problem, a buddy had 2" add a leaf springs from rough country for 40 bucks. Install took about 2 hours, found out there are some tips and tricks for aal's to cut that time down. Had the springs on for about 2 months now, maybe dropped an 1/2 inch but still much better, I also just bought a set of Napa air shocks today Im going to install to help with the sag and mostly for towing.

Thanks for all the replies.

I replaced the leaf springs last weekend - all went fine (though getting the bushings into the springs was not quick) - and now the Jeep rides about 2 inches higher in the rear.

The front springs look fine, but is the fact that the rear springs needed replacement an indication that the front ones need replacing too? They were both original.

If you have access to used stock springs, another quick and cheap option for getting stock height back is a do it yourself add-a-leaf. I did that on my 95, and plan to soon on my sagging 98 to celebrate its upcoming 200K mile birthday.

People have different ways of doing this. Some people just cut the ends off a top leaf and put it between the top leaf and #2. What worked for me was to cut down a #2 leaf so that it is halfway between the length of #2 and #3. There's a very wide gap between those two, and adding one there not only adds a little height, but helps to take the stress off #2.

You can cut the springs to length with an abrasive disk on an angle grinder. Remember that they are not symmetrical.
jeepspringstw7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The U-bolts are long enough to accommodate an extra leaf without change, and adding one leaf doesn't require you to undo the eye bolts and shackles. You'll need a new center bolt for each spring, and new clips. I found that the axle shaft bolts from VW universal joints are exactly right for center bolts in this application.

On my 95 this restored height nicely and improved the ride a little too.

01sesedan said:
I'm on the same boat, my rear is also sagging pretty bad and would like to get a little more lift. Do you think new springs from Quadractec..part# 56010.11 along with shackles in the rear and springs from a v8 grand cherokee will also work?

Just looking for some advise.

Don't know about the Quadratec springs, but the rear springs from and Grand Cherokee will not fit since all of them use multilink rear ends with coils.

i believe he is talking about the FRONT springs from a V8 ZJ to level out the jeep after he puts in his new rear leafs.

Back