• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauges dead

CBB311

NAXJA Forum User
i recently bought an 89 cherokee, and it is my first jeep. i love the thing but recently it wouldnt start. i troubleshot it to no fuel pumping. instead of automatically changing the fuel pump i replaced the relay first, and it ended up being the problem. well everything went well for like an hour, now my temp and oil press. gauges are all the way to the right and my voltmeter and fuel level gauges are all the way dead, and i just put a new battery in and filled half the tank, so i know its innaccurate. has this happened to anyone or does anyone know how to fix it? the fuse under the dash for the gauges is fine, is there a relay for them under the hood? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Try checking the grounds. My 98 was doing that recently and the mounting bolts for the bottom of the dash were loose. resulting in a bad ground. I just tightened them up and all was good.

You have a RENIX Jeep. If the grounds in the engine compartment (anywhere for that matter) are loose or dirty they need to be cleaned and tightend. You should have at least 3. One from the batt to the fender, one from the batt neg post to the oil dipstick tube and block, and one from the intake to the firewall. This is the most important thing you can do for a RENIX. Trust me. When gages max out it is from loosing ground.
Good luck and keep us posted.:wave:

mcnamaag said:
You have a RENIX Jeep. If the grounds in the engine compartment (anywhere for that matter) are loose or dirty they need to be cleaned and tightend. You should have at least 3. One from the batt to the fender, one from the batt neg post to the oil dipstick tube and block, and one from the intake to the firewall. This is the most important thing you can do for a RENIX. Trust me. When gages max out it is from loosing ground.
Good luck and keep us posted.:wave:

Do you by chance have and pics of these?

Back