• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumpstops-Slightly different approach

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I would share a new rear bumpstop I put together. The bolts that held the stock rear bumpstops in place sheared when I tried to take them out to put new ones in (longer bumpstops that is). I couldn't put any new bolts in the holes and didn't feel like dealing with drilling them out and retapping it.

I used a piece of 2"x2" tubing and welded a 90degree piece to it. Bolted up the new bumpstops, and used some self tappers to hod the assembly to the frame rail over the top of the old bumpstop location. The bumpers I have are 1 inch longer, so I can take them off and put the stock ones on if need be.

I just thought if anybody else broke the bolts in the weld nuts, they might be interested in a solution.

P1030189.jpg

Way to think outside the box.

not bad! i actually like it quite a bit. i might do this if you dont mind me stealing ur idea.

Not a bad idea!But your shock mounts suck,it looks like they are even past 45*.

Last edited:
Here's my little spin, cost me nothing but 8 pucks in hockey pucks and a little time, I could not source any sort of bumpstop over three inches in all of British Columbia, and anything energy suspension had was b/o'd.
bump1.jpg

bump2.jpg

bump3.jpg

I plan on attaching them tonight. This site is filled with very valuable info!!!!

bcmaxx said:
Here's my little spin, cost me nothing but 8 pucks in hockey pucks and a little time, I could not source any sort of bumpstop over three inches in all of British Columbia, and anything energy suspension had was b/o'd.
I plan on attaching them tonight. This site is filled with very valuable info!!!!
Now thats ghetto,you do realize bump stops are meant to absorb energy by compressing!

yes I do understand your point, these are to be used to keep my rear tires out of my flares when articulated, I'm not using them in place of airbags!!maybe ghetto but very functional, and later if I find they are not up to snuff I'll purchase some softer "bumpstops" after all I only spent $8

kind of funny, you show a good idea and well everything else shown in the pic gets the thidr degree...hehehe

good idea though

Nice ideas. Not sure about the origional poster's but the guy with the hocky pucks, might want to weld another piece of metal so it "clamps" onto the unibody rail. Like a "U" up top so it can bolt to both sides of the unibody rail.

Blaine B. said:
Nice ideas. Not sure about the origional poster's but the guy with the hocky pucks, might want to weld another piece of metal so it "clamps" onto the unibody rail. Like a "U" up top so it can bolt to both sides of the unibody rail.
hey thanks! good idea!

911xj/tj said:
kind of funny, you show a good idea and well everything else shown in the pic gets the thidr degree...hehehe

good idea though
So true ... and it seems like RCP Phx enjoys bashing other people's attempts. I've seen other threads where all the guy does is find fault with nothing useful to contribute. If you must criticize (and sometimes it's necessary) try to offset by adding a suggestion for improvement. Empty bashing just makes you look like an asshole.

Good idea for the bumpstop mounts!

Last edited:
Mighty.Mighty_XJ said:
So true ... and it seems like RCP Phx enjoys bashing other people's attempts. I've seen other threads where all the guy does is find fault with nothing useful to contribute. If you must criticize (and sometimes it's necessary) try to offset by adding a suggestion for improvement. Empty bashing just makes you look like an asshole.

x2, I've read some of his negative opinions he has towards other peoples great ideas. He must have an xj with 20,000g's in bolt on superior products.He can probably outmud,outcrawl,out 4x4 all of us!!

Mighty.Mighty_XJ said:
So true ... and it seems like RCP Phx enjoys bashing other people's attempts. I've seen other threads where all the guy does is find fault with nothing useful to contribute.

I think it's a bad idea. Read a little more into RCP's response. Without a little give, those pucks will be rough when you hit them. Probably why the factory has more compliant bump stops.

Ronbo said:
I think it's a bad idea. Read a little more into RCP's response. Without a little give, those pucks will be rough when you hit them. Probably why the factory has more compliant bump stops.
let you know in a few hours,heading to the trail.

Back