• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone identify this axle/knuckle? Which brakes do I need?

nitrogt101

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get brakes for this axle, I have no idea what year XJ it came out of. The brake and knuckle design are different than my 98. I tried brakes from an 89 and they do not fit either. What year is this from?

100_0483.jpg

100_0485.jpg

100_0487.jpg

"J A 40567"

100_0488.jpg

Regarding the lug nut studs, it's very possible they were changed due to the wheel choice the previous owner ran on the XJ. Many aftermarket aluminum wheels have thicker mounting surfaces/centers and require longer studs and different lug nuts than the factory acorn style.

Just be sure to pay close attention to bolting up your wheels to ensure that the lug nuts don't bottom out on the stud shoulders.

As far as the knuckles, I don't know - is it possible that the axle came out of a V8 Grand Cherokee ZJ? Does the other knuckle have more than one steering arm? It looks like it uses a floating caliper - the knuckles are obviously missing the caliper braces that traditionally hold the caliper/pads. :dunno:

I'll check tomorrow during the light but it highly resembles the HP30 in my 92. I'll check the knuckles on mine tomorrow when the rain stops and it dries up a little.

Thanks, if it is the same that would solve my problem. I'm not sure if it came out of a V8 ZJ, do they use the same control arm mounts etc? If it did, I guess thats no big deal, I just need to know so I can get ZJ brakes.

That thread would help except for I threw the rotors away months ago, they were rusted and I knew I'd be replacing them. They were not cast, I know that. But I've tried brakes from the other 2 options of XJ brakes and they do not fit.

I need to know what brakes to get, this axle needs to go in! :gonnablow

The bottom knuckles in this picture are WJ knuckles, they are not the same as my axle, however how the brake mounts to the knuckle appears the same(hole spacing).

23.jpg

I looked at some pictures of ZJ knuckles, it doesn't look like them either.

Well I figured it out. The axle I have is from an 89 or earlier XJ with the two piece knuckles, except I don't have the second piece! Anyone have one laying around that I can buy the knuckle piece from? Or know where to get it? Dealer? :eyes:

Back