• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield replacement

Jump This

Just another minion!
So, before I commit myself to something I'll only screw up.....

I need to replace my windshield, I live in the middle of nowhere, and I need to have it done ASAP ( no real hurry, I just don't like the Jeep looking like a buggy!)
Sooooooooooo....I'm thinkin' that I could just pick the bastard up while out of town tomorrow and installing it on Sunday.
Should I be expecting and real trouble?
I'm not a moron....(well, some might disagree) and it looks to me like
its a straight on glue in.......right?

Rick

It's straightforward but it takes experience to get right. Most people who try it end up with lots of road noise and whistling the first couple of times.

Getting the trim off from around the glass requires special tools as well

ehall said:
It's straightforward but it takes experience to get right. Most people who try it end up with lots of road noise and whistling the first couple of times.

Getting the trim off from around the glass requires special tools as well

Well, I got the old trim off....took some time but its off.
Also it should be noted that this isn't a street Jeep....well, okay,
sometimes....its driven on the road, but for the most part, its a beater.
I've done some window replacement in the past, and I'm thinking that
the Cherokee glass looks easy to install..
:dunno:

Is there not a glass replacement place near you. I have replaced 2 in vehicles and they were 200 bucks. They guy came to me installed the window and took the old one with him. Easy

wolfpackjeeper said:
Is there not a glass replacement place near you. I have replaced 2 in vehicles and they were 200 bucks. They guy came to me installed the window and took the old one with him. Easy

Nobody near here.
I'll be picking one up for $145 tomorrow.

($199 if they installed it, OEM quality..)

it might be worth the 54 bucks to make sure it doesn't fly off on the highway

ParadiseXJ said:
I'd drive into "town" and have 'em do it while I sipped on a cool cerveza...or two.:cheers:

P.S. Jeez, you do live in the middle of nowhere

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Borrego+Springs,+CA,+USA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

What?
Did you think I'd lie?
:D
I'm not worried too much about wind noise..
100_4966.jpg

Got to agree with those who suggest you pay the $50 to have it "professionally" replaced. but if you insist on doing it yourself, I think you need piano wire to cut the old rubber, releasing the wind shield. I've never done it, but did read a write-up, once:D

I just had mine changed 110 bucks, gotta love hunts point(NY reference) but I would suggest picking up a gasket (if your xj doesnt have chrome molding) they cut it when they were removing the old one.

I watched the process fairly simple. They just ran a bead of sealant about 3/8 wide and 3/4" to 1" high around the whole windshield.

hollyxj said:
I just had mine changed 110 bucks, gotta love hunts point(NY reference) but I would suggest picking up a gasket (if your xj doesnt have chrome molding) they cut it when they were removing the old one.

I watched the process fairly simple. They just ran a bead of sealant about 3/8 wide and 3/4" to 1" high around the whole windshield.

What do you mean? 3/4" thick? Sounds like a shit load of adhesive...
Did they use these?
100_5028.jpg

When I had mine replaced they ran a bead of adhesive/stuff that was about 3/8" wide by almost 1" tall! Special caulking gun/tip. I couldn't believe how tall they got and it stayed there with no sag.

When I watched them do mine the last time, they needed a special air-powered caulk gun thing to push the adhesive out cause it was very thick and supposedly super strong.

xj92 said:
When I watched them do mine the last time, they needed a special air-powered caulk gun thing to push the adhesive out cause it was very thick and supposedly super strong.

I have an air powered caulking gun....
I still want to know what the heck the little tubes are though..

Jump This said:
What do you mean? 3/4" thick? Sounds like a shit load of adhesive...
Did they use these?

No they look like your standard caulk tube except the cone is not round but square. they used a sheetrock knife to cut a slot 3/8wide x 3/4high.

When it was applied they used your typical dripless caulk gun. the gun was held about 90 degrees to the work surface and the sealant came out of the side where it was notched.

The adhesive I was given didn't cooperate very well with the hand caulking gun.... I ended up cutting the tubes open and hand applying....what a pain in the ass....

i just put one in mine yesterday.
you need urathane (i cannt spell)
and your bead needs to be like a triangle about 12mm high and
5mm thick. dont forget to buy new window molding clips.
get them from the same place your getting thw windsheld from..
if you need help let me know, i have everything except the glass
have fun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back