• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Shaft Question

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
Its a 98 with the 8.25 and no trac-loc. Do I have to remove the drum brakes to pull the axle shaft out? I just want to check the bearings because something sounds bad back there and dont want to remove the drum. Thanks a lot.

one must ask why the adversity to pulling the drums?

Too big words for me. I started to pull the axle out and then some "metal dropping" noise happened. Now the axle one go in or come out? Any ideas?

Ok, well depends on what you have disasembled at this point. once you have the the tire off i would recomend pulling the drum off (make sure the Ebrake handle is down) You cant really do any harm by pulling them. If you have taken the nuts off the retainer plate then it the retainer plate might be hung up. It might not be going in due to not aligning with the splines in the diff.
Big picture is lets step back and analyse the sound that your hearing. could be that you have a simpler issue than a bad bearing.

The sound as far as why im taking it all apart? I talked to a couple people including someone from a jeep shop who went for a ride with me and he said its a bearing of some sort (not necessarily the wheel bearing). I figure to pull out the axle shafts and see how they were. The fluid is fine with no metal chips and there aren't any scars on the ring/pinion/anything.

As far as that metallic noise, I think it was just one of the side gears falling out of place. Are there any special alignments those side gears need when re-installed? Thanks a lot.

by side gears do you mean the spider gears on the inside of the carrier?

Yes. They're both out now actually. But Im more concerned on getting the axle in or out. I might just remove the rear drums. Im assuming its those 4-5 bolts around where the shaft should come out?

I'll pull off the drum if I can, or at least partially remove them to see if it'll change things.

EDIT, gave it a decent tug and pull out the shaft. I thought that the bearings were supposed to come off with the shaft? As of right now I can see the bearing right next to the brakes.

Last edited:
Are these bearings fine? And in the right place? I can roll them freely with my finger (i washed them first dont worry).

0404082048.jpg

Still have some sort of loud rumbling from the rear end?? Wheels torqued to spec, everything inside the diff seems fine. Axle shafts arent bent. I didnt mess with the pinion gear bearing yet. Any ideas?

EDIT: There's also a slight ringing metallitc noise (kinda like hitting a shim against something) when I go from coasting to load. My front brakes make some noises and squeak on a high point even when im not hitting the breaks. My shocks are bad, and my tires are almost bald in the back. Could all of these factor into lots of vibes or am I just missing something? Could driveshaft be outta whack?

Last edited:
Back