• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocating coolant temp sending unit

rickolis22

NAXJA Forum User
while i was doing a cluster swap i broke my coolant temp sending unit flush with the engine. tried an easy out, but no luck. i want to just relocate it somewhere. its not leaking coolant where the old one was. what do you guys think, should i get a t-fitting and put it in one of the coolant lines, or tap a hole in the thermostat housing, or any other suggestions? thanks in advance for any advice.

If you can't otherwise drill out or remove the old sending unit

get one of these things and put the sender in-line with the upper radiator hose. The picture doesn't show it but there's a 1/8th NPT threaded fitting for a sending unit. Not sure what the temp sending unit threads are, might need to adapt a bit.

water_temp_sender_radiator_hose_adaptor_1.jpg

from here (and elsewhere)

http://www.deftracing.com/prosport_gauges/water_temperature_sender_radiator_hose_adaptor.htm

Same thing, better pictures here:
http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-Radiator-Hose-Water-Temp-Sensor-Adapter-30mm-to-40mm_p_9267.html

not sure of the size for Cherokee - the one I got to support a mechanical water temp gauge was in inches and not metric and I can't remember what that was.

Last edited:
rickolis22 said:
while i was doing a cluster swap i broke my coolant temp sending unit flush with the engine. tried an easy out, but no luck. i want to just relocate it somewhere. its not leaking coolant where the old one was. what do you guys think, should i get a t-fitting and put it in one of the coolant lines, or tap a hole in the thermostat housing, or any other suggestions? thanks in advance for any advice.

If I read you right, you broke it at the back of the head?
Newer models (94+?) have one in the T-stat Housing. (I'm ASSuming you have a pre 94.) Get one of those housings and put a sender there. I put a second temp gauge in my 87 this way.

mine is a 94, 4.0. the sending unit for the gauge is on the back of the head, thats the one i broke. i think the one you are talking about may be for the computer.

rickolis22 said:
mine is a 94, 4.0. the sending unit for the gauge is on the back of the head, thats the one i broke. i think the one you are talking about may be for the computer.
Ya, then that won't work. 94+ already have that spot taken. That #2 post looks good...

anyone know what size i would need for the xj ...

i have a 99 motor in my 95 and no way of conecting the sending unit, and i dont feel like tapping the block ....

Back