• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

baja claus

They are so fast that you have to run 4.88's in the rear and 4.56's in the front!:doh:

I wonder if Baja Claus is like Santa Claus but brings either tires or speedboats instead of toys.

90PioSport99 said:
I wonder if Baja Claus is like Santa Claus but brings either tires or speedboats instead of toys.

If that was the case I would believe with all of my heart and soul in Baja Claus and rejoice in his awesome power to bring happiness to all of our lives :)

windle said:
does anyone no if i were to get some baja claus and put the tred on the back tires in reverse would they ware faster????

Dumb idea.........unless you drive everywhere backwards and then you are very brilliant...

Cornflake said:
If that was the case I would believe with all of my heart and soul in Baja Claus and rejoice in his awesome power to bring happiness to all of our lives :)
I know, right...someday he will exist.

They are going to ware the same, but regardless dont run them backwards. No reputable tire shop will mount they backwards any way. Some guys mount them backwards so they grip better, but then they wont stop as well. Whats more important... going forward or being able to stop?

hahhaha are you serious? Everyone knows "wear"ing baja claus would be pretty uncomfortable and hard to match...

99xj4x4 said:
Some guys mount them backwards so they grip better, but then they wont stop as well. Whats more important... going forward or being able to stop?

That is a very nice point that I've never heard anyone make. I've seen a few rigs with directional tires turned backwards for "more traction" and I usually just keep my mouth shut. Usually, I just think about when I'm driving on-road in rainy conditions, because I want the water to flow away from my tires and not towards the middle. Just think about trying to stop quickly on pavement with a set of 35" Baja Claws with the tread pattern in reverse during a rainstorm or doing the same while driving down a slick rock face.

The same thing could probably be said about mud bogging. The school of thought that I go by says that you want self cleaning tires to throw mud away from the lugs for more traction. If all the mud was slung towards the middle of the tire, I would think that they wouldn't work well. Now, I'm sure there are some really good reasons in certain conditions like rock crawling competitions with 100 plus pounds of bb's in each tire or something.

They are horrible in ether direction...

To actually answer your question....

1: You dont have to have them MOUNTED backwards.. just take the right ones and put them on the left and visa versa... c'mon guys its not rocket science.

2: They will wear a little faster. I run my rears backwards and my fronts forward so that its not shaking the steering wheel all over the place and I wont hydroplane everytime someone spits in the road. Even though Im locked front and rear, the rear still wears a lot faster

3: They will give you more traction backwards on rock, etc., but not in mud. These things pretty much suck in mud either way you turn them.

4: It didnt make a bit of difference in stopping, but they will be loud as heck.

Turn them around, run them for a couple of weeks. If you like it, keep em that way, if not, switch them back.

Its probably important to note that my XJ is not my DD. That being said, I wouldnt switch them around when you're getting ready to go wheelin, then switch them back for a grocery getter. What kind of terrain is near Port Townsend anyway?

As he sped out of sight "Merry wheeling to all, and to all AAAARRRRRIIIIIIBAAAAA!!!"

Last edited:
I have found that replacing them with MTZ's makes them so much better :D

are you sh$ttin me?? We give a couple of guys with that go wheelin with us crap because we ALWAYS have a strap hooked to them with those. Those MTZ's just ball up with mud and roll off the rim. The only reason Im running a MT product is because they came on the Jeep when I bought it and I havent bought Iroks yet.

99XJWhitey said:
are you sh$ttin me?? We give a couple of guys with that go wheelin with us crap because we ALWAYS have a strap hooked to them with those. Those MTZ's just ball up with mud and roll off the rim. The only reason Im running a MT product is because they came on the Jeep when I bought it and I havent bought Iroks yet.

I love them, they have been unbelievable in all the situations i've come accross, they are like the siped version of the bfg/mt's

They have never caked up for me, in snow or mud

99XJWhitey said:
The only reason Im running a MT product is because they came on the Jeep when I bought it and I havent bought Iroks yet.

They are a Cooper product

im actually having a hard time finding a tire that is going to give me better performace. in the mud there great i dont care what anyone says. ill go until i cant go no more and then put it in reverse and back right out. ill do 85 on the highway and they feel ok. the only thing i would like is better control in the rain, and less wear.
ps. i have the radials.

Back