• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie locker questions

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I just picked up an aussie locker off of somebody and just wanted to make sure that i have got everything for it. I looked up on the aussie locker website and it said that it was suppose to come with a special cross shaft but i didn't get one with it. Will i still be able to install this or will i have to get a new cross shaft?

Also, how hard is this for someone with decent automotive skills to install?

Thanks,
Ben

you can use the stock cross shaft. i would say they are easy to put in if you know how to take axle shafts out. if you got a rear locker and a c-clip rear axle its fun to get the c-clips in and out

Well its going into the rear of my 91 xj. Would i be better off taking it in for a shop to install it?

nah its easy to do, do you have disks or drums? if drums pull the diff cover, pull the center pin, pull out 2 spiders, pull the c-clips, pull the second spiders, then install as the directions describe, its not to hard, i can do one in about 30 mins with one guy if the gears are 3:73 or lower, I have a tool for putting in the c clips though, but you can use some thing needle nose's or two small reg screwdrivers,

I have got drums on the back. Doesn't sound to hard. Mite try and install it this weekend then. Just didn't know how it was going to be since this is the first time messing with a differential.

Should be very easy for you to do in a weekend(with time to spare!).I just got my new one for my 96 D30 and it should only take 2hours or so at my shop.

What diff fluid would you guys recommend with the aussie? Didn't know if it took a certain kind or not.

You don't need any special gear oil. Factory spec gear oil will work just fine. Its a ratcheting locker, it needs no addatives.

The install is pretty easy. Just some advice that probably goes unsaid is...

1. Make sure you work in a clean area, you don't want debris going back into your diff, also you don't want to lose bolts etc in a pile of leaves.

2. Make sure you put everything back were it came from, ring gear on carrier, carrier bearings etc. (the instructions will tell you this too)

3. An impact wrench will make this job 1000 times easier.

4. You'll need a torque wrench to put everything back at the right ft/lbs.

5. Take your time, don't overly force anything and it'll be a good experience!

Good luck, I loved my aussie!

H

So do i have to remove the whole carrier or can i leave it in the axle? Thought i read somewhere that i can put the locker in with the carrier still in the axle.

It is possible to do it while the carrier is in still in the rig, but depending on the gears you may have to pull the carrier so you can remove the ring to get the cross shaft out.

I have a stock XJ dana 44 and the ring gear is in the way of getting the cross shaft out. So yes in a dana 44 (at least the XJ's) you would have to pull the carrier.

Back