• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hacking rear fenders along fender flare line

proskier101

NAXJA Forum User
did some searching but most pics in the threads were deleted or moved in the users host site so i didnt see any useful to me..also saw some cutting that was too much for me and some that wasnt enough...im thinking of cutting along where the fender flare is
pretty much where that nice purty line of dirt is..i know i will have to reweld it but does anyone know if there will be any issues with cutting here?
DSC04029.jpg

and if i cut it right i think i can just shove the inner fenderwell up and stitch weld it to the outside body panel and fill between the stitch welds with silicone or something..

what i dont want is to cut it and end up with some massive reconstrutive project on my DD lol

i havent seen anyone cut along that line, everyone i see usually leves that little flare on the rear. but that only takes out like 1/2" of fender..

I remember a post a while ago where a guy cut so much there was only a 1/4" of sheet metal left between the fender and rear door. He did basically what you said: cut the outer panel and made two cuts to the inner fender to mate the outer and inner together, welded it and filled it with foam. looked good.

whitneyj said:
I remember a post a while ago where a guy cut so much there was only a 1/4" of sheet metal left between the fender and rear door. He did basically what you said: cut the outer panel and made two cuts to the inner fender to mate the outer and inner together, welded it and filled it with foam. looked good.

do you have any idea if there is any structure support right there behind the door...i guess ill do more searching...

ChrisRFewell said:
you have that lip there..i was going to cut that out too..and gain 1/4" all the way around...

when i started to redo the rears i was gunna do that, but theres not really enough material in there. u cant really strech the body and inner wheelwell close enough to weld it up, it looked like it would be like a 1/2" gap if i remember. almost all the trimmed rears ive seen look like complete ass. people just hack it and it never looks good. i took my time and reworked the edges very carefully. theyre really blunt, rounded corners that i hammered and dollyed so that they wont cut into a tire like a knife. if ur interested ill get some more pics when its light out

foxwar71 said:
when i started to redo the rears i was gunna do that, but theres not really enough material in there. u cant really strech the body and inner wheelwell close enough to weld it up, it looked like it would be like a 1/2" gap if i remember. almost all the trimmed rears ive seen look like complete ass. people just hack it and it never looks good. i took my time and reworked the edges very carefully. theyre really blunt, rounded corners that i hammered and dollyed so that they wont cut into a tire like a knife. if ur interested ill get some more pics when its light out

if you could thanks

I have seen where it has been done very nicely but it is a ton of work and to get the fenderwell to meet the fender takes a BFH and gussets and patching. To get the support below the door, at the door sill you will need to weld that whole area not only stitch weld, HTH
And yes you can very easily make it look like Dog 5hit

don't trim all the metal from the outer and fold it in to meet the inner. you'll have two areas where you'll have to fill in with extra sheet metal. I've seen it done well before.

I just did my fronts and rears. I cut the rears to the body line about every 3" to 4" and folded it under. Works really well, I used a body block and smoothed mine out as much as possible.
100_3673.jpg

100_3665.jpg

Super nice xjjeepthing. That hook looks like it can pull down buildings. Either your really goodpatient at bodywork or you havea really good camera.

Back