• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Coils

ReftonsRed

NAXJA Forum User
I searched on this topic hoping for answers but ended up with more qustions. One post said a stock TJ coil will lift 1 inch and another post claimed it would lower a cherokee. From there I did some research on spring rates and spring lengths and became more confused by the lack of a common spring rate term (I saw at least 3 different measurent types 106/6aa, 150 pounds/inch) If anyone can give me a rate for a stock TJ coil and/or stock Rubicon coil and if possible its effect on lift (or lack thereof) on a cherokee I'd appriciate it. My reasoning behind this is I am able to get the stock Rubicon coils for free and if they add inces i'd like to put them in. Thanks

Regular stock tj coils are 1" shorter than the xj's. I don't know anything about the tj rubicon coils except they are taller than regular tj. So I guess I just stated what you already know, Sorry I am really tired.
I also could find no definitive answer on spring rates when I looked around before, but it was merely for curiosity's sake so I wasn't too motivated.

wacho4 said:
Regular stock tj coils are 1" shorter than the xj's. I don't know anything about the tj rubicon coils except they are taller than regular tj. So I guess I just stated what you already know, Sorry I am really tired.
I also could find no definitive answer on spring rates when I looked around before, but it was merely for curiosity's sake so I wasn't too motivated.

well a stock TJ coil is about 1" shorter than a stock XJ and a rubnicon will give a TJ about 1" lift and better spring rate...so in theory a stock rubicon spring will be the same as a XJ coil but with a better spring rate for offroad.. IIRC

does that answer your question?

ChrisRFewell said:
well a stock TJ coil is about 1" shorter than a stock XJ and a rubnicon will give a TJ about 1" lift and better spring rate...so in theory a stock rubicon spring will be the same as a XJ coil but with a better spring rate for offroad.. IIRC

does that answer your question?

I was kindof thinking along those lines as well, but I think of alot of things....

according to here they are stock vs stock..(the second post)
http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/98400-coil-spring-rate.html

which would make since...the high spring rate is for greater rate and the front of an XJ and TJ are probably about the same..

and for a GC with a V8 it is much heavier therefore the Spring rate is higher due to the added weight compressing the spring...IIRC GC fronts add about 2"-3" lift and you could bastard pack the rear with i think Dakota or s-10 springs and net about the same...

so now you have a cheap Junkyard lift for less than $100 vs free 0" lift

ReftonsRed said:
i've got the rear at about 4 and some two inch spacers laying around so it looks like i have a plan for tomarrow

if you have 4" lift in the rear get grand Cherokee springs and use the 2" spacers...that would be a nice ride :cheers:

I checked into this when raising my xj,and asked the guys at 4wppc in indy and they said no gain with rubi coils the heigth diffrence comes from larger tube and axle sprig pad but did say you would get 1" os so from gc coils MR

Back