• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj engine work in a 99 xj?

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I've been looking for a new engine for my 99 xj cause I hydrolocked my engine. I haven't had much luck finding a motor from 97-99 but there are alot of older motors from 91-96 that I could get. My question is would a older motor work in my 99???? Do I have to modify the hell out of it in order for it work??? Also someone told me that a motor from 96 would work in my 99 but I thought Jeep made that change from 96 to 97, (ya know the changes in OBD1 to OBD2 and the relocation of the coolant temperature sensor from the back of the engine to the front).. Please help me with my problem. I need good accurate information. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Yes it will work. Just bolt your exsisting intake manifold off of your 99' as well as the exhaust manifold onto the older engine. You will also have to use your newer ps pump and braket on the older engine as well. You 99' has a distributor so that's not an issue. The motor mount ears should be the same...when I switched from my renix to a 99' model they were not. If anyting else is different you have the old motor to pull parts off of. The 99' doesn't have a coolant temp sensor in the back of the head but it does have one in the t-stat housing so you can just use it on the older engine too.

Last edited:
Back