• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 1660,poly bushing available?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I have a RE 1660 heavy duty trac bar and found out today that my sloppy handling was from the axle side rubber bushing(no it's not worn out it has less than 10k on it)even though the bolt was tight there was still play in the rubber a good 1/4"

Anyone running a poly bushing on the axle side with this trac bar?If so from where/part#????

TIA :cheers:

outlander said:
I have a RE 1660 heavy duty trac bar and found out today that my sloppy handling was from the axle side rubber bushing(no it's not worn out it has less than 10k on it)even though the bolt was tight there was still play in the rubber a good 1/4"

Anyone running a poly bushing on the axle side with this trac bar?If so from where/part#????

TIA :cheers:
Pretty sure the axle end bushing on the 1660 is poly, not rubber. I haven't run the RE bar for a few years, but I find it hard to believe that a poly bushing would wear out in 10K miles. Just curious, is the bolt the proper size? Thinking it could be slop between the bolt and the bushing sleeve.......just trying to help.

nope it's definately rubber.I first thought the bolt had slop but I checked it and it doesn't....its the rubber bushing compressing.Why the hell would they use a heim(superflex joint in their lingo) at the frame end and a rubber bushing at the axle end is beyond me.

I know I'm not the only one that has this problem with the 1660 trac bar.Anyone replace the rubber bushing with poly???

Just got off the phone with RE and the guy said that the bushing that comes with that trac bar is poly.....WTF??Mine is definately rubber!!!

He said RE1685 is the replacement poly bushing.....(confused as hell)

Last edited:
I just got my 1660 recently and yep, its poly on the frame side...

you get an older design or something?

He also said that they have been using poly in the end of their trac bars for the last 15 years.My lift is only 4yrs old.What gives?I'm kinda pissed!!!

You think I should try to get them to ship me a poly bushing for free?I mean why should I have to pay $15-20 when the bushing should've been poly in the first place.No wonder my steering response is off(not to mention the horrible clunk),I can see the rubber bushing compress a good 1/4" when I move the jeep side to side.

What would you guys do??

Last edited:
I'd take a pic and send it to them and ask WTF...see if they'll send you the poly replacement for free since something doesnt seem right....

Good idea because he didn't believe me.He said "well thats not our trac bar" and I said "well it came in the box your lift came in with Rubicon Express written on the out side"

Nothings better than having a merchant argue with the customer.......I'll snap a pic and email it to them entitled "WTF" lol....

outlander said:
Good idea because he didn't believe me.He said "well thats not our trac bar" and I said "well it came in the box your lift came in with Rubicon Express written on the out side"

Nothings better than having a merchant argue with the customer.......I'll snap a pic and email it to them entitled "WTF" lol....

It's easy for them to say when they don't use rubber bushings, I guess...I just replaced mine and it didn't last as long as it should have, but yep they're poly alright....

Just pop for a new one they're only ten bucks.

Just got back in from dropping the axle side of the trac bar to remove the bushing.....yup rubber,I can compress it with my fingers.Guess I'll drop $10 plus shipping from CA on the poly bushing.Why the hell they would ever use rubber that gives in a trac bar still has me baffled.

This is just another chapter in the saga of bad experiences with RE....I'll spare you guys the details,don't wanna come off as a whiner.:bawl:

outlander said:
Just got back in from dropping the axle side of the trac bar to remove the bushing.....yup rubber,I can compress it with my fingers.Guess I'll drop $10 plus shipping from CA on the poly bushing.Why the hell they would ever use rubber that gives in a trac bar still has me baffled.

This is just another chapter in the saga of bad experiences with RE....I'll spare you guys the details,don't wanna come off as a whiner.:bawl:

Dude, If it's rubber then take it to 4wheel parts and tell them that Rubicon owes you a new bushing! I only say 4wheel parts because they can be your thrid party person and Re will most likely listen to them.....Just my opinion.

but I didn't buy it through them....got it from DPG.
Something to consider though,because they always argue about shit every time I have to deal with them.....usually Eric(yes I just dropped a name)But I won't say any more......

You know Dirk(DPG) dealt with them when they sent me two pass. side drop brackets instead of a drivers side,maybe I'll call him.

Called RE again and Eric said they NEVER have used rubber in their trac bars.The first time I called him he said they haven't used rubber for 15 years....so I quoted him on that and he said "we haven't even been in business that long"

hmmmmm.......

Whatever this is stupid,I'm going to see if I can get a poly bushing from daystar that will fit.

Back