• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best header back exhaust kit?

ryanmills

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 93 XJ sport. Far from trail ready I am starting the minor stuff for the build. I have ignition and intake picked out but I cant seem to find anyone who has a good header back exhaust. Whats on it now is in reallly rough shape.I would really like to get rid of that cat but I don't know the emissions laws here (Washington). Anyone have any recommendations for complete kits?

I know for a fact that taking that Cat off will violate emissions in Washington. I'm not sure about it being an "antique" though. I know here in MA after 20 years your car is considered "antique" and emissions no longer apply to the vehicle. Unfortunately, I don't know about a good header, maybe edelbrock or summit racing if you have a little money to spend. Hope this helps.

Sorry just reliased I was not clear on the header part. I do have a new header is the pipe all the way back I need.

Yea I was pretty sure I could not legaly cut it off, wonder if i can get away with putting it on with clamps when its going out on the reg street and having it off the rest of the time...

I'm from Washingington but I haven't resided there in almost 9 years (military) and I have never had to get emissions testing or anything like that for WA registration. You could probably get away with not having a cat, until some cop gets pissed at how loud your exhaust is and decides to take a look. I have never seen a header back kit for the XJ, just cat back.

Here is a thread I found on Jeep Forums:
1) get a high flow cat converter from a place like warpspeedperformance.com worked for me, about 75$ delivered.

2) went to muffler shop and had them install 18" Magnaflow muffler. and the cat I bought on-line. The install , all welded, plus oxy sensor remove, install, etc, was about 140$.

It's about the best money for performance ever spent! Keep the cat, we all need to breathe clean air. performance will be even better than you think....dinosavy has a dynoed 11hp for the above mods...I would say it feels even more than that.

Just leave the cat alone. You will never see any noticeable gains from removing it and your exhuast will sound like crap. And so called high flow cats are no different then a stock cat. They all have to do the same thing and pretty much all flow the same. If you already have a good header get a cat back from the same company to match it. Cause they were more then likely tested and designed together and will give ya a better gain then mixing a header from one company and a cat back from another. But don't buy just a muffler and have it welded on. Your stock crush bend exhuast pipe tubing is a major flow stopper as well.

Last edited:
Borla... Sounds the best as far IMHO. I know they have a complete system, header back, but not sure if they have just down pipe back or not...

I have a '97 so my XJ is probably somewhat different than yours.
However, if the Banks Torque Tube header will fit on your engine, than I highly recommend it. I am 100% happy with mine. It fit in perfectly and guaranteed for as long as I'll be around.

For what it's worth, here is what is on my '97.
Banks Torque Tube Header #51305. (The Rev Shop, 8/05, $404.00 )
2” opening, uses factory downpipe.
MagnaFlow #23226 Catalytic Converter (Performance Curve, 8/05, $92.15)
DynoMax Super Turbo Cat-Back #WLK-17340. (Summit Racing, 8/05, $125.99)

I am completely happy with this system. I noticed increased HP, especially at low end, and I like the "tone" of the exhaust. Also, while I was at it I added a 99+ intake which helps on the intake side of things.

Hope this helps-
JP

Back