• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lubrication during ball joint installation

duke000088

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gearing up to tackle ball joints on a '99 this weekend.

Is it advisable to lubricate the "body" of the new ball joint and/or the inner circumference of the holes in the yolk/C to aid in the pressing of the ball joint? I realize I need to make sure the holes in the yolk are very clean before I try to press in a new joint. I have read some instructions from an OTC ball joint press kit that advise using a "suitable lubricant" for this step... What is suitable? Axle grease? Just a little?

On one hand it seems like a press fit would REQUIRE some lube to get that ball joint in there... but then I was thinking maybe lubrication would interfere with the "holding" power of the press fit. Just for the record - I am not referring to routine service lubrication of the installed ball joints via zerk fittings. This question is only related to the job of pressing ball joints in with a suitable ball joint press and adapters.

Thanks -

Just did my ball joints and did not need any lubrication. With the correct press and adapters the job is a cake walk.

Back