• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Diff Fulid Change with Trac-Loc

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to change the fluid in my readr diff. I was going to use Royal Purple 75-140 and a friction modifier for the Trac-Loc.

Is there anything that I need to watch out for? This is the first fluid change in 120k miles . :(

You could check the fluid level right before you change it and see if you've been running it low for awhile.

Look for metal flakes in the bottom of the diff and on the filler plug magnet (assuming it has one).

If it smells burnt thats bad.

Note: the color might be a little darker than some others could be because of the LSD and the friction modifier, so if you see that I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of checking the level prior to popping the cover.

I changed the front diff fluid last weekend, and I was amazed how nice the fluid looked, but compared to what!?!?!

I haven't checked yet, but I have read the the Corp 8.25 has a rubber plug. I guess it could still have a magnet on the end, but I will check for the metal pieces.

I guess my main concerns were using the Royal Purple with the Trac-Loc system, and since you can renender a auto transmission inoperaperal by changing the fluid at high milage, I thought I better check and make sure the Trac-Loc might have the same issue.

The rubber fill plug on the C8.25 does not come with a magnet inside....

Depending upon the mileage of your XJ; the TracLoc clutches are probably past their service life... Most of the time.... the clutches are trashed by 35K and a rebuilt kit needs to be installed....
The kit costs about $50 and requires disassembly of the clutch packs...
Personally IF you have the spare case... I would remove the internals of the carrier housing (TracLoc and idler gears) and install a PowerTrax LocRite or No Slip which is a drop in locker.... Sometimes known as a lunchbox locker...
The LocRite goes for about $165 and the No Slip goes for $385.

Some of the LSD's specify no synthetic fluids. Depends on the age I think, my auburn says no but the newer ones say OK to it. I use kendall for the additive.

Great information, thanks!

Ok I've dug around the Internet looking for a cheap clutch kit, but haven't found anything that I am sure of being the right thing.

It looks like the clutch kit will fit several diffs.

I was also looking for a "how to" write up with pictures so I could determine just what had to be done.

Does anyone have a good source for the clutch kit, and maybe somewhere on the Internet were there is a how to write up?

One thing I have found is more information about the lockers that can be put into the diffs, and why. Very interesting reading, and something I must do in the future.

muckleroy said:
Ok I've dug around the Internet looking for a cheap clutch kit, but haven't found anything that I am sure of being the right thing.

It looks like the clutch kit will fit several diffs.

I was also looking for a "how to" write up with pictures so I could determine just what had to be done.

Does anyone have a good source for the clutch kit, and maybe somewhere on the Internet were there is a how to write up?

One thing I have found is more information about the lockers that can be put into the diffs, and why. Very interesting reading, and something I must do in the future.

Try these tech writeups; they may help...

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/index.php/cPath/2880_226_2405

http://fencedude.blogspot.com/2008/01/trac-loc-limited-slip-differential.html

http://www.ringpinion.com/ContentFr...arts/Lockers//Trac-Loc_Assembly_Made_Easy.inc

Back