• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

growth spurt

nootay

NAXJA Forum User
Well, ive had the jeep lifted for almost a year now and i want it to grow more. Right now i have a RE 3.5" SF with an adjustable trackbar and have cut the front fenders. I was thinking about getting the roughcountry drop brackets and getting 1.5" spacers and shackles. My only concert is that the OME shocks that i got with the 3.5" kit wont be long enough for the 1.5" growth. Im also going to be getting a SYE at the same time too. Anyone know if these shocks will work? Anything else im leaving out that i need to add?

Thanks for the help!

BPEs?

BPEBachelor of Petroleum EngineeringBPE Bachelor of Physical EducationBPEBall Park EstimateBPEBarometric Pressure EvaluationBPEBasic Programmer Education (IBM)BPEBasic Programming ExtensionsBPEBeam Pointing ErrorBPEBefore Present EraBPEBest Point EstimateBPEBest Practices ExchangeBPEBest Preliminary EstimateBPEBest Proposal EstimateBPEBomber Penetration Evaluation (US Air Force)BPEBovine Pituitary ExtractBPEBritish Barclays Private EquityBPEBTL (Bell Telephone Labs) Provided EquipmentBPEBudget Program EstimateBPEBudgetary Planning EstimateBPEBudgetary Price EstimateBPEBulk Pharmaceutical ExcipientsBPEBureau of Pilgrimage and EndowmentBPEBureau of Public EnterprisesBPEBusiness Premises EquipmentBPEBusiness Process Engineering

I guess bar pin eliminator works too.

Short answer:
They will work just fine with BPEs. BPEs change the correct shock length anyway since they change the mounting points 1-1.5". If you bought the "correct length shocks", then wanted to upgrade to BPEs, technically your shocks would be too long.

Long answer:
To properly measure shock length, you really shouldn't just go by the lift height they are advertised for anyway. Yes, they will be close, but to get the maximum amount of travel, there are other factors besides lift height that play a big role. Tire size and bumpstops can change the optimal length shock very easily. Obviously, you can get more uptravel with say 4.5" and 31s than with 4.5" and 33s.

To do it right, and get the most useable shock travel for your $$$
1. Install the lift and tires. Also install BPEs if it's in your plans.
2. Go flex it out and measure for bumpstops (with no shocks/swaybars).
3. Install bumpstops, these are important!
4. Go flex it again and measure between the shock mounting locations on the compressed side(s). You should be sitting on your newly installed bumpstops :)
5. Then find the longest travel shock that has a compressed length about 1-1.5" shorter than you measured.

IIRC Rancho has a nice chart for this, and most reputable companies will be glad to take your phone call.

You don't want to bottom out the shock, and rubber/poly bumpstops will compress more than you will be measuring. You want some give there, therefore the 1-1.5" shorter shock.

Hope this helps :dunno:

Back