• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another 231 ????

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy has a rebuilt 231 with an advanced adapters sye. If we replace his ba10 with an 89 21 spline ax 15 will it match up to his transfercase?

I just picked up an 88 Comanche and the P.O. had toasted the BA10 and was in the process of replacing it with an auto but, lost interest. I had a good AX15 spare here so I swapped it in instead of the auto. According to the P.O. the 231 from the BA10 bolted right up to the auto but I found that the input shaft from the BA10/auto transfer case is smaller than the input shaft on the AX15 transfer case. So, if he told me the truth then the answer is no.

IIRC, all you need to do is match the years and the spline count will be correct. If you are gonna use the NP231 with the SYE, just make sure the trans is same vintage. You can swap the input shaft also.... I think....

ya its my jeep hes talking about. I rebu9ilt everything but left the ba10 which i thought was okay but its noisy and no good anyways so im sitting here with the dilemma. I will look for a ax-15 from an 89 which i thought was the first year for it but i could be wrong.

the ba10 is 21 spline and the ax-15 is 23 spline. there was never a 21 spline ax-15 in an xj. even if the ax-15 is in an 89, it will be 23 spline.

you may be able to swap the main shaft from a 23 spline transfer case into a 21 spline tranasfer case so it can work on the ax-15

There's a change in the internal ring & planetary setup in NP231s in the early 90s. Mix them up, and horrible noises commence.

Back