• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ujoint Noise?

Jack it up and spin the tire and watch the joint. If there is any hesitation between the wheel and the axle (past the joint) it needs to be replaced.

It kinda sounds like you have wore out tires. Have you examined the tread lately?

I was removing the TC yesterday and while I was trying to get the bolts out for the front DS, I noticed the inner axle movingquite a bit and the outer part of the axle was not. So I know the ujoint is bad, I was just hoping it was causing my intermittent rumbling at speeds greater than 45. I suspected the hub, but at the price of them, I was hoping t was caused by something less expensive.

Forgot to mention, it is not a constant rumbling and nothig I do can create the noise or make it go away on demand.

The tires are fine.

Jess said:
Jack it up and spin the tire and watch the joint. If there is any hesitation between the wheel and the axle (past the joint) it needs to be replaced.

It kinda sounds like you have wore out tires. Have you examined the tread lately?

I just had to jump in here. So there should be NO hasitation between the tire rotating and the axle? I had better look at mine again. I can turn mine an inch or so before I feel the diff and see the axle move.

SgtJCJ said:
I just had to jump in here. So there should be NO hasitation between the tire rotating and the axle? I had better look at mine again. I can turn mine an inch or so before I feel the diff and see the axle move.

I'm talking about the axle shaft, not the driveshaft. Basically, the u-joint is bad and the axle starts to rotate before the tire. The u-joint was REALLY worn, probably original vintage 1989.

Tommy4949 said:
I'm talking about the axle shaft, not the driveshaft. Basically, the u-joint is bad and the axle starts to rotate before the tire. The u-joint was REALLY worn, probably original vintage 1989.
o.k. Freaked me out there for a second.

Back