• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my battery lost?

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo Jeepers, In my 92 the electric system is 13.8 volts with the engine running. o.k. but in rest it is only 12.3 volts. It should be 12.8. Am I correct?
The green controllight(stupid Light) on the battery tells green=OK.
The battery was only once draw empty in its lifetime by a radio drain and is only 1 year old. It is mayby:skull1: greetings:rattle:

Last edited:
wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Hallo Jeepers, In my 92 the electric system is 13.8 volts with the engine running. o.k. but in rest it is only 12.3 volts. It should be 12.8. Am I correct?
The green controllight(stupid Light) on the battery tells green=OK.
The battery was only once draw empty in its lifetime by a radio drain and is only 1 year old. It is mayby:skull1: greetings:rattle:

Your battery seems to be just fine. "Nominal" resting voltage is 12.6, but there is some variation, and (speaking generally) anything over 12.0VDC is OK. If you really want to test; put a voltmeter on it, disable the ignition, and have someone crank it for you. Cranking voltage should not drop below 9.6VDC +/- ~0.3VDC.

Or, stick it in the freezer for about an hour and a half and see if it will start your engine after that.

Just recall that nearly any electrical specification is "nominal," and subject to a tolerance. How much? Depends on several factors...

5-90 said:
Your battery seems to be just fine. "Nominal" resting voltage is 12.6, but there is some variation, and (speaking generally) anything over 12.0VDC is OK. If you really want to test; put a voltmeter on it, disable the ignition, and have someone crank it for you. Cranking voltage should not drop below 9.6VDC +/- ~0.3VDC.

Or, stick it in the freezer for about an hour and a half and see if it will start your engine after that.

Just recall that nearly any electrical specification is "nominal," and subject to a tolerance. How much? Depends on several factors...

Hallo. After several tests and discussions with the batterycompany VMF ,they have decided to give me a new battery for free.
So Jeepers,don't give up too soon!:party:

Last edited:
Back