• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bang clunk.... ujoints and tcases....

starting a new thread.. posted earlier about 94xj 231 tcase auto 4.0. search and went thru over 60pages of threads with different search terms. nothing, some similair all pointing to a possible tcase failure. when you put it in 4 wheeldrive it bangs and clunks.... only thing ive found without taking apart the tcase is front driverside ujoint extremely worn out.... low range does work but its not engaging the front wheels... pull it into 4hi and it bangs and clunks shudders, and sometimes the parttime light will come on and off. anyone seen or heard of this before???? think its similair to the tire wear issue where it will not sync right, except the ujoint being the culprit??? any input is appreciated... thanks.
second xj first was a 88 2dr 2.5 and loved it... but wouldnt let me drive it nymore (massachusetts inspections).

where is the noise coming from? Does it do it in 2wd (make the noise)? Have you checked the fluid in the front diff and t-case?
Not engaging the front tires is probably due to a vaccum issue.

Have you tried removing the front ds and see if it still makes the noise?

Is the Jeep lifted? T-case drop? T-case linkage properly adjusted?

Jess said:
where is the noise coming from? Does it do it in 2wd (make the noise)? Have you checked the fluid in the front diff and t-case?
Not engaging the front tires is probably due to a vaccum issue.

Have you tried removing the front ds and see if it still makes the noise?

Is the Jeep lifted? T-case drop? T-case linkage properly adjusted?
completely stock, linkage was adjusted at shop where i got the tires, stock tire size brand new bfg's, only does it when you try to put it in 4wd. it is a 94 cammandtrac 231, dana 30 front, all fluids filled at shop and they changed the rear pinion seal on the tcase as well. with /out vac disco, it spmply spins the whole front and is seperated by transfercase. i think its trhat way due to them putting both tcases in cherokees around that year with only part, and one with full time.

Last edited:
Back