• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this the right keyless fob?

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Is this the right keyless entry fob for my 97 sport?
Keyfob.jpg

Those are correct for a 97 ZJ.

Would these keyfobs work for a 1990 Cherokee with keyless entry?? Would a dealer be able to program these to my XJ? Obviously the 'Panic' button would be obsolete.

No, they will not. The 96 and older XJs use a worthless infrared remote instead of the RF remotes used by 97 and later XJs.

Any idea what an OEM keyfob for a 1990 XJ looks like?? Found this on amazon, but it says it's for a 1993. And I'd assume an OEM would have a Jeep or Pentastar logo on it somewhere...
515WXKNE4FL._SL500_AA300_.gif

That's for the 96 and earlier, it has the logo on the back. Problem is, the older key fobs were not programmable AFAIK. The code is set on the receiver module end by cutting various wires on the printed circuit board. I'm not sure if the transmitter is programmable. The best thing you can do is retrofit your XJ for this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ir-rf-keyless-entry-conversion-676076/

The 96 and earlier remote setup is worthless anyways, the range varies from "hold it against the glass and point it straight at the receiver" to "it works from one parking space away."

First, please note the posting dates. The post you replied to is 2 1/2 years old.

Next, if you want to take the fast route, you can order an IR remote from:

http://www.thejeep.com/piland.html

Make sure you get the correct code using the instructions on the site.

However, you'd be better off simply putting in an aftermarket system. I bought an Auidovox one for less than $50 with plenty of bells and whistles and simply hooked up the things that I needed. Additional fobs are cheap, user programmable and plentiful.

I know it was 2 1/2 years ago... But when you reply to a post, it bumps it back to the top of the forum threads. YOU replied, didn't ya!? :) AND I got my answer(s) in a matter of minutes. So I thank you all for replying. And thank you 'Saudade' for your link. Very helpful.

I've never seen the fob racerized posted but here is the one for my '91:
KeyFob.jpg

The '92 fobs were the same as well. They are infrared like a tv remote so you have to aim them at the receiver. I'm pretty good at it after using it everyday but I have considered a retrofit because you have to be right by the car to use it.

Back