• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo / Odometer not working

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ Laredo. I'm guessing the 2 problems are likely related. I haven't really driven this thing much since I got it as it's not registered or insured. I took it for a spin around the block and noticed that the speedo and the odometer were both not functional.

Anyone have any ideas how I would go about fixing it?

Take the gear out and reinstall it making sure that the bracket that holds it into the transfer case is in the right position. My guess is that the gear on the speedo cable side is not touching the gear inside the transfer case housing. That has fixed mine before.

1: Check the connection @ the transfer case(might be unplugged, but if not unplug and replug).
2: Check the connection @ passenger's side firewall by valve cover(unplug, replug)
3: make sure the wires from the transfer case to the firewall aren't cut.
4: Remove speedo gear, inspect that it's still there and spins, reinstall and make sure gear engages with gear inside of transfer case. You will notice that the gear isn't in the center when/if you pull it out and that you will put it in and rotate it to get it to mesh with the internal gear.
Edit: the above applies to HOs, not quite the same with the Renixs. I had a Renix and it is an actual mechanical cable that spins and goes into the instrument cluster, so check the connection there as well.

Last edited:
Back