• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right turn signals don't work....

IslanderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My right turn signals doesn't work.

1.) The light on the dash just comes on, but doesn't blink.
2.) I checked the bulbs, they are good.
3.) Hazard lights function correctly, except for the right turn signals, including the dash lights flashing properly.
4.) Running lights also function correctly.
5.) Right front blinker comes on, but doesn't blink.
6.) Right rear doesn't come on at all, signal or hazards.

I'm at a loss... help me.

My 90' did that on the left side. Checked for shorts and anything else I could think of, I mean I knew it couldn't be anything simple, well it was something simple..ME..it was a bad flasher. DUH!!!
However I would also check the wire harness outside under the ECM for corrosion, my 90' was OK but my 91' was "green" and only had a few lights working.

Last edited:
I thought about that, then realized that the hazards and signals use the same flasher, with two blades, one for power in and one for power out. So that doesn't make sense, but it is a jeep, so anything could happen.

Exactly....didn't make any sense to me either. I put 4-way flasher in to test it and it worked, bought another flasher to replace the orig., put the 4-way back and lights worked fine, that was two years ago. Made no sense to me.
The only other thing I can think of is that there was a bad ground that made a better connection after pulling all the all the fixtures.

Last edited:
I grabbed the flasher/relay from the MJ in the garage.
Update:
1.) The light on the dash just comes on, and now blinks correctly.
2.) I checked the bulbs, they are good.
3.) Hazard lights function correctly, including the dash lights flashing properly, except for the right REAR turn signal.
4.) Running lights also function correctly.
5.) Right front blinker functions correctly.
6.) Right rear STILL doesn't come on at all, signal or hazards.

ok,what you should do now is remove your lense, remove the socket and see if any wires are touching or corroded.turn on youre right flasher, and wiggle around the wires and see if the bulb comes on,try moving the bulb too. i had that problem, and ended up having to change the socket that the bulb goes into. hope this helps

Pelican said:
My '85 and '93 have separate flasher modules -- don't know about "86 and '92.
Your right, ones for the hazard, the other is for the signals. But the are different relays though, not interchangeable.

85xjproject said:
ok,what you should do now is remove your lense, remove the socket and see if any wires are touching or corroded.turn on youre right flasher, and wiggle around the wires and see if the bulb comes on,try moving the bulb too. i had that problem, and ended up having to change the socket that the bulb goes into. hope this helps
Yep, seems to be the problem.

So far, I had to change my flasher module, and the bulb housing rear signal bulb housing/holder is toast. I'll replace the bulb housing/holder and report back.

Back