• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is this vacuum line on the tb?

xjjk

NAXJA Forum User
I'd search but don't know what to search for.
Here's a pic. There are two ports- one has a hose that if I touch it, the motor dies. WHY?
It looks like there should be another hose in the identical port, but I've never seen one. Anyone know what it is?
thanks.

7a1e01c8fbb2.jpg

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I was on the interstate being stupid ( before I found the wealth of knowledge at NAXJA) and got my Jeep as fast as I possibly felt safe ( for me or the engine), which by the way was 102 MPH according to the GPS.

Anyhow, I go off on my exit and I heard a horrible hissing noise and that thing had popped loose ( rubber grommet not the hose) and the engine ran like horseshit. I located the sound and pushed it back in and it ran fine.......WHAT DOES THAT THING DO?

Good question bassthump

--Alex

goes to the map sensor on the firewall. you need it

Looks like a RENIX (1987-1990.)

The hose goes to the MAP sensor. The "blind" tap is a bung that plugs into a blind hole to help hold the thing in place. I find a little RTV black on that "blind" bung (the one without the hose) when it gets loose helps to hold the thing in again.

why is it so freeeking sensitive (Yes it's a renix. sorry about not putting that in)? I literally touch it and the motor dies.

Its sensitive because its old and dried out. The newest Renix Jeep is at least 18 years old and rubber/plastic degrades in heght temp environs like under the hood.

wonder if there's any way to rejuvenate it? I'm thinking it needs a good seal to deliver whatever signal (vacuum?) to the MAP and if it's that touchy, perhaps it's not sealing so well any more.

Try the RTV, and check the line for cracks. It's the small plastic spaghetti stuff that acts just that way after 15 years - like dry spaghetti straight from the package. You can look at it and it will break.

Disturbing the vac signal will change the MAP output voltage to the computer, so it reacts by compensating for the lost input or adjusting for an invalid parameter. The tube's not being touchy, the MAP is.

I learned this the hard way.
After changing CTSensor for the guage and a long list of other repairs, I went to start up and was running like poo and smoking, barely able to hold idle. I thought it was the Seafoam (first use in tank)
Took 20-30min. of head scratchin and a beer, once hooked back up engine surged back to life, sure made me feel better about my repairs.

Back