• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid transmission question

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
Today I replaced my thermostat, and so to burp the air out I jacked up the rear off the ground as high as it could go. The coolant operation went fine, but I notice'd something peculiar.

When I had the back wheels in the air, the transmission (Peugeot BA/10 Manual) in neutral, and the engine on, the rear driveshaft has torque to it. As in, it spins. Slowly, but it spins. I can simply grab it and it stops spinning, but as I let go I can feel the torque get back on it. Both back wheels spin with it.

When I put my clutch pedal to the floor, it stops spinning. Remember, this is in neutral.

My question is, is this normal? Is it just the design of everything? Thanks!

Still pretty cold up in CA? I suspect the gear oil is cold and thick. Try driving it around a bit and get everything warm, then jack it up and try again.

You have an input shaft with gears attached to it.
You have an output shaft with gears attached to it.
You have oil between them.
You put power into the input shaft.
The oil transfers some of the power to the output shaft.
Your tires turn.

My Wrangler wants to move forward on a flat when cold and out of gear in the Winter due to increased viscosity of the gear oil. Every manual I have ever owned does this.

Ron

Back