• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator replacement

sixditchoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Just got done seating a new distributor, drove her for a day or two. And blaaa. Alternator stopped charging. I guess it's high output time. I love driving the jeep and going wheeling but it's pretty disconcerting that almost every week somthing goes wrong. I've Had a headlight switch go out, taillights go(still out), dashlights go(still out), starter 2x, battery, 2 tires, distributor, front left caliper, valve cover gasket, electric fan, e-brake. seat belt buckle and the list goes on. It might be time to sell, start over with a different jeep. And I thought she was the one.

Don't let the Little things get you down! Those are little nuances, however many of those things are original (14yrs. old)
If I let the little things get to me I'd have sold long ago.(blown cluster gear in transmission, cost more than I paid for the XJ)
However to each his own, I'd keep and learn from the little things but that's me.

This thread is better suited as Non-Tech/ Off Topic
No question but more of a rant, right?

"Don't sweat the petty stuff. Don't pet the sweaty stuff."

As Harlee said, most of the parts you're replacing are probably original. So, it's not too bad.

Considering I still drive an 88, I don't see what you're on about anyhow?:laugh3:

Note that I do not suggest getting a "chain store" part. NAPA or Carquest is OK, but not any of the other major chains. You're going to need their warranty, and the best warranty is the one you don't need. Check your phone book, find a local shop that does rewinds, and go there. You'll get a much better part!

If it's not a DD, and you can't find anything locally, click the link in my sig and go to San Jose Generator. He's the shop I use, and I talked him into doing mail order a couple years or so ago. So far, everyone else has been happy with Rod's work as well.

Back