• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankin' it up.

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I need a 258 crank for the stroker project. Questions:

1. Is it desirable to try and find the 12 (or is it 13?) counterweight crank? Is the 4 counterweight just fine for an all-around motor?

2. Are new 258 cranks being produced? If so, who's got 'em? Are there any obvious differences in quality I should be aware of? Forged vs. Cast, etc?

3. What should one expect to pay for a new, high quality crank?

CRASH

what are you planning on doing running this thing at Sears point (excuse me, infineon raceway) at 10,000 rpm all day long? put a decent reman in it and call it good! You and your bling bling eagle rods and now you're looking for an cyrogenically treated, shotpeened and turtlewaxed crank :) :)

I am not aware of anyone making a new hipo aftermarket 4.2 crank, most that want more power swap for that shorter crank with 8 connecting rods.

$170 at kragen with a $20 core or make them PM AZ at $161 AZs core is $80 though.

Thanks for the input, Lazy Gary......got that winch mounted yet? :) Core charges are never a problem......I always bring them a part from a different vehicle anyway. Like XJ front calipers as a core for Caddy rear disk calipers. :D I'll take them my 4.0 crank.

The Jeep Performance Engine book lists the crank as having 13 counterweights, but I believe that changed to 4 at some point, didn't it?

Where's Eagle when I need him?

CRASH

BTT.......where the hell are all the stroker geniuses?

CRASH

It is a '90 YJ 258 crank for the 4 CW crank, and it is the short snout and there is no need to do any mods to it for the HB. The late '70's CJs have the 12 CW crank but it is a longer snout and to put the balencer on, you need to shave it. The 12 CW is for serous off road with a manual tranny. It has (hear-say) 400 RPM stall, and that makes you crawl at an idle without stalling. The 4 CW is perfect for the auto, and it will wind out faster than the 12CW. Hope that helps.

Are you going to get custom H-beams, stock 707's or use the 4.0 rods.

Project stroker:
'90 4 CW crank
707 rods
Pistons are up in the air due to turbo
Crane 753901 cam and matching lifters, springs and retainers
1.56 SS exhaust valves
2.02 SS intake
doing roller rockers
bored intake manifold to 69 MM
getting matching spacer to 69 MM
F&B 68 MM TB
Gibson headers
will do a 2.5 exhaust with HF Cat and mufler
FI, u/k yet
will do IAT relocation
will do adjustable MAP
and might get computer done

Need any help, just ask

My recipe :

Eagle forged 258 rods, 13 CW crank (I have an NV4500 manual)

Venolia pistons (24 - 26 cc dish)

.010 off of the head, .028 off of the block

Stock renix head, bored renix TB, 26 lb/hr injectors.

Already have header and 2.5" exhaust all the way back. Need to decide on a cam.

I hate the Yahoo web-group format. It takes way too much time to decipher.

Thanks for the clarification on the 13 CW crank, that's what I'll look for.

CRASH

Comp cams say that they are not for FI, but so does Crane and everyone is using theres on the FI

Hey Michael, did you buy the Crane cam in a set that included lifters, springs, retainers etc?

Does anyone sell a complete set like that? It would be better than parting it all out with different vendors!

Thanks for the links, I'll have to call them to talk about my project and get a recommendation.

CRASH

If you call crane, they will be able to help you out. Just tell them what you are doing and they will give the # to you. I went to local parts store and got them. A performance shop had them at a great price and the parts store beat their price by 10%. They were not in a set, but did order them all at once. The company that was building cranes stuff, cut out and left crane hanging. It took 7 months to get all the parts because crane had to make them on there own. They had none in stock. I got my crank through this parts store and it was saposed to be a reground crank and bearings, but they had none in stock, so it was a new cut crank as well. All of the parts, top to bottom are new cut, oversized, but the used 707 rods. They are not made any more and are real hard to come by. Call parts store and, and performance shops and have them out bid each other, then get a price and see if you want to get them all at once or peice it. Cam was about $125.

Junkie:

Yes, I'm planning on going through you. Just need to get the engine out of the project Jeep and see if it's rebuildable. I'll PM you when I'm ready to rock, likely in mid-September.

Hopefully, the piston manufacturer will be able to do a 24 or 26 cc dish? Did you ever confirm that?

Michael:

xjjunkie is my guy, if he can come up with the correct dish on those pistons.

CRASH

What is the compression hight on the pistons xjjunkie? Can they be used on the 4.2 rods, @ .060 over?

Michael,

according to my calcs, the Venolia 4.0 pistons, used with 26 cc dish yields about an 8.93 compression ratio when used with a .052 headgasket. The quench will be stock. For a slightly better quench, a .045 HG would yield 9.04 cr and .0665 quench, .007 better than stock.

I was assuming that the pistons had a 1.581" pin height. Junkie should confirm this, lest it throw my calcs out the window.

This is right off the stroker spreadsheet developed by Greg Friedman.

CRASH

I have the MP .041 head gasket. And plan to take out about ~1-2 CC in the heads.

Back